We are also making the best out of a Montessori school situation. Although it's not a classroom utopia I highly agree with the statement that it's about the teacher and not as much about the school. My son has asked and receiving harder work.

Our most recent example is with the division board work that they recently brought out. The children get a piece of paper with 5 problem and they must solve them using bunnies and giving each bunny the correct amount of eggs to divide to total number of eggs equally. My son quickly grew tired of the repetitiveness of the activity and started asking the teacher for harder problems with remainders instead of doing the problems with whole number answers. This is one simple way that they are able to use the same materials for all the children but make my son's more challenging.

*On a side note I am doing a happy dance since finding out that the one teacher who doesn't really get my son is leaving at the end of May. That was one of the hold ups about sending him there for next year. Since it was a small school with only 3 teachers--this one teacher was weighing heavily on my decision.

Crisc