Originally Posted by CatherineD
As much as I want to unequivocally encourage his intellectual growth in whatever direction it takes him, I also REALLY want him to be happy, socially.

Yup. It's just that for GT kids, the intellectual growth is usually required for the social and emotional development to occur. These kids just aren't happy if they're not learning.

Despite what the rest of the world thinks, the kids who take calculus at 12 or whatever are rarely doing it because their parents are pushy stage-mom types. They're doing it because they HAVE to do it in order to be reasonably happy people who aren't impossible to be around. Most of us parents are being dragged forward kicking and screaming, not trying to make these kids go faster!

I know my long-term goals for my DS6 are for him to be a happy, healthy (emotionally as well as physically), productive member of society. But to be happy and emotionally healthy now, he must be challenged, and I am pretty sure it will always be that way for him.

It's good that you can smile at the librarian. I hope you continue to keep that great attitude. smile Some days it's easy and some days it's...not. Attitudes toward GT kids vary so wildly in the real world. Some people are downright weird about them. Even some people who should really know better.

Anyway, hi! laugh

Kriston