Originally Posted by MegMeg
I can totally see their point of view, in that they are a feeder school for the public schools and larger private schools and they have lots of families with siblings who are passing down the Lord of the Flies ethos. If they tried to expel every kid who was bringing that into the preschool they'd be out of business. But that doesn't make it RIGHT. And that's where they almost had me. They almost had me buying that viewpoint that this is just the way it is at this age and they are all learning how to manage these issues etc.

See, I don't agree with the idea that "this is how it is" at a certain age. If teachers enforce rules appropriately, preschoolers will get in line. My kids went to a daycare place run by a woman who would not accept this kind of thing. If a child was mean to another one, she'd send the mean kid off on time-out and explain that "This isn't how we play here. We're all nice to each other. If you can't be nice to the other kids, you can play all by yourself." And she meant it. She was very, very effective, and trained her staff to use the same approach.

I realize that if it's a very big school, this gets harder, but still, they're, you know, preschoolers. Kids at that age are very malleable.

Good luck with the private school. Keep us posted.

Last edited by Val; 12/05/12 10:37 AM.