Originally Posted by W'sMama
Originally Posted by Quantum2003
Is it possible that your DD was placed into a class with a high percentage of average or lower kids? It just sounds odd that they are all reading at K level.

Hmm... I don't see how they could have assigned the classes based on either aptitude or achievement since they just didn't have any of that kind of info before the year started. All they had to go on to make up the classes was sex & birth date (plus parent preference for half or full day K.) Most of the class is older than DD, partly due to red-shirting of several boys.

Some of them may be reading higher than K level, but if they are it wasn't apparent to me in the 3-4 minutes I had with each of them. Even the best readers were mixing up small sight words like "do" and "did".
We may be in totally different parts of the state (I'll pm you), but what we found when our dds were in K was that the higher achieving kids were often in the full day classes b/c the parents of kids who had attended academic preschools and/or who came from more educated households tended to select the full day K with the assumption that their kids would learn more (although I know that they really can't teach more academics in full-day K). I saw the half day K teachers rave to parents of kids who were barely sounding out basic words like "dog" about how incredibly advanced their kids were.

I wonder if there might be a split like that at your school as well. None the less, it sounds like your dd would be advanced academically based on those WJ scores even in a high achieving K class.