Thanks for the response!

Originally Posted by master of none
1. VOLUNTEER.
Does the teacher accept parent volunteers?

She's just starting to offer some limited volunteer opportunities. I'll be in the classroom one day this week for an hour during "centers". From the work they've brought home, sounds like this is crafts and worksheets straight from their language arts curriculum- cut out the pictures and sequence them based on a story the teacher read earlier, circle the pictures that begin with the letter "M", that kind of thing.

You know you have an advanced kid. Is she mature? Advanced in all areas?

Mature... ha! She was very, very mature as a toddler/preschooler, remarkably so. Now, at 5, she's kind of a mess. Tantrums about every little thing. As for academics, she's at least somewhat advanced in all areas- hopefully testing will soon answer how much.

5. Use this year to get a glimpse into how your dd handles it when the work isn't reaching her level. Does she feel insulted?

So far, she's a little put out by the "baby stuff", but not miserable, and her teacher says she has made a "few comments" to that effect. She'll tell me, for example, "during rug time the teacher asked us what sound the letters made but I didn't play, I just sat there." She does love recess and talks about that a lot. smirk