Originally Posted by Old Dad
Not everyone places such emphasis on breaking out of the middle class, some are just fine outside of a high pressured Ivy league school leading to 60+ hr. work weeks and high stress stress jobs.

I think the point is to endure the 100+ hr. work weeks as an i-banker so that you can establish a trust fund to allow your grandchildren to live aristocratic lives of poetry, privilege, and worldly glory. You won't enjoy it, but they will as they achieve the permanent residence among the top 0.1% that only massive amounts of money and the right upbringing can buy. Yeah, you'll be the outsider always shunned and spoken about in harsh whispers as someone who was born to a low station in life, but they have a chance to truly be accepted.

Although, I'm the guy who represents homeless and dying people.

Granted, sometimes they die because they drink themselves to death. I got one of those last year.

And I also get annoyed when they threaten suicide on the phone. Really? "If you're really thinking about suicide, I'm going to call the ambulance to come get you." That often calms them down. Fortunately, they only really do that with the staff. They're pretty reasonable with me.

Last edited by JonLaw; 09/12/12 07:33 PM. Reason: Edited to more accurately reflect the working life of the newly minted I-banker