Originally Posted by Togo
After a wonderful k-3, our dd moved into 4th grade in a public montessori school, with an eagerness to learn, excitement about all subjects and a TAG identification in reading/writing. Last year we were too trusting that the teacher's basic competence would instruct the kids in core subjects, but that wasn't happening.
I'm a little confused here. Is she in fifth now, and last year in fourth was a bad year? It doesn't seem possible that she could be in fourth, since grades 1-3 went well but last year your faith in the teacher went unrewarded. It doesn't seem possible for her to be in sixth due to having the same teacher for the next two years, unless the current school goes higher than sixth.

If you're in the U.S., in which state? What TAG identification evidence do you have, how current is it, and could you get more (e.g. through outside testing)? What other support would you have if you made a complaint? What's guaranteed to be so much better about the 4/5/6 classroom? What academic peers, and in what setting was your daughter with them? Why couldn't your daughter transfer to the peers' schools, such as one of the middle schools, too?

I only know one thing: I wouldn't sit and wait for things to improve. We only lost time that way.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick