At first I saw only the first part "how to discuss gender" and thought LGBT.  I have close family who are (in another state) and while they are a few token ones here they're treated like a spectical and the backwards thinking on it here is embarrassing to me and I'm going to have to talk to my kids about this as soon as they notice.  Here's something about that from the  AARP website.  http://www.aarp.org/politics-society/rights/info-07-2010/defense_of_marriage_act.html.   

ATM my oldest is still on, "how do girls pee if they don't have a pee-pee.". I've showed him the picture about plumbing in "It's not the Stork".  I've tried to tell him it's like a butt, but, obviously, we have butt cheeks, so, awkward.  Yeah, by butt I must mean butt cheeks and girls don't have two sets of those. I guess that's why he keeps asking along those lines even though I answered honestly and got the book to show him.  He did tell me after the episode of Sid the Science Kid about water systems that "my pee-pee's like a pipe".  I have tried to tell him that every sentence can't lead back to "butt" "pee-pee" and "fart".  He's got a talent.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar