Handwriting is OK. I've asked Teacher about writing and she said she does great and all that she has to do for him is to walk by his desk and say "Oh I can't wait to read more about X." We have PT conference in 1.5weeks so I'm trying to formulate a plan......

You are so right in that 3months is a lifetime for a child. I've mentioned things such as pretesting and going to 3rd grade for math and she just looked at me like I was speaking in a foreign language. I think the curriculum doesn't easily allow them to see what DS is capable of. I also call him my concept kid. He loves making that next leap to a concept, but always doesn't want to do the nitty gritty to become fully proficient in that area.

I think a previous poster is right in that I need to help him be proficient in those areas such as time tables that the school looks for. His knowledge of WWII won't help much.

I should clarify that I"ve been in contact with the teacher a number of times. She did a few accommodations for him which helped a little. She sends home challenge math problems and if its a separate sheet, he doesn't have to do the regular homework. He also spends time reading rather than sitting in on some of the math lessons. He was working on an independent research project w/ another science-talented boy from another class but that fell through due to scheduling conflicts. One time she gave him a battery, insulators, conductors and he had to make a circuit and determine which of the items were insul and cond. HE LOVED IT. He then gave a presentation to the class and she said he was a natural. OK< next on my list, think of something else like that for him to suggest to the teacher. She asked me for advice so I need to have some ideas ready.

Thanks for helping me to work through my thoughts!