This ultimately led me to the conclusion that the score doesn't help much. Once you're past 140, it really becomes an individual fit issue depending on personality and resources available.

Ah yes, you summed it up nicely for me.

Thanks everyone for your responses, it was very helpful. I guess my next order of business is to figure out what to ask for. There is not much time left in school so I'm not sure if it's worth it now or wait until next year. DH and I are discussing HSing him. This summer we might do a trial run and see how it goes and then ask DS if it's even something he'd want.

OH yes, the book "Parenting Gifted Kids" has a 2006 copyright but that doesn't mean the info is not out of date.

I never thought much about IQ but also never realized it is such a murky area. I think things are further muddied with the new tests seemingly to test lower (that is what the psych said). It's hard to determine what it all means.

I do plan to get the IOWA acceleration scale book and see how it comes out for both of my boys. I have one entering K in the Fall.

thanks again everyone for making me feel welcome!

Still Dazed&Confused but perhaps a little less so....

(and special thanks to Dottie wink )