Neato-

One of my best friends just tried a hybrid experience with her son, age ten, who was watching some show about middle schoolers and became curious. He enrolled in a science class that piqued his interest, and took art class at the school too. I think he was at school 2-3 times a week, and he enjoyed it for a month or two, but grew weary of it by Christmas.

There were a few reasons that this was not a great solution. One is that the school had a weird rotating schedule, so it was hard for us to tell when B would be free and when he would be in school. So he missed some events with homeschooled friends. The other is that the school kids were not unkind, but he wasn't there enough time for them to truly accept him. He continued to be an oddity. It may be that if he stayed in those two classes all year, things would be different, but in those three months he did not form one friendship, and he is an outgoing kid. His little sister was forced to miss some homeschool stuff too, due to the pickup schedule. The Mom was relieved when B finally told her that he didn't want to go any more.

Another friend has a daughter who started distance learning high school when she was 12. She joined the high school soccer team and was a solid player. But the older girls were snobby and did not make her feel very welcome. They asked her pointedly why she was younger, why she homeschooled, why she wanted to join their team. I'm sure you can imagine the snotty tone of voice!

On the other hand, I met a boy several years ago, who was exclusively homeschooled yet was on the high school wrestling team. He was a very eloquent speaker, and he was actually the wrestling team captain! So the hybrid thing CAN work, but those I know personally who have tried it have not had the best experiences.