DS:
Tests: WPPSI-III, WJ-III
My questions: What the heck is going on here? I know my older DD is smart but this boy looks like a different kind of animal. Am I crazy? What should I do for him?
What I learned: Yes, he IS a different animal...I am NOT crazy...I need to research the options (gradeskip is looking good.)

DD:
Tests: WISC-IV, various writing diagnostics
Questions: Is she really at a different LOG than DS? Why does she seem so GT verbally (orally) but not in writing? Why is writing a struggle for her?
What I learned: Yes, once again, my instincts are confirmed, she IS at a lower LOG than DS, she IS verbally GT, I am not imagining the writing issues although it's less clear what the cause is, I now have some strategies for helping her.

Overall, testing has helped me be a better advocate for my kids because I have hard evidence supporting my observations. This not only helps me convince others of what my kids need, it helps me convince myself! It's so easy to be swayed by ALL those other people--including family and professional educators--who are telling you there's nothing different about your kids. You really start to question yourself. Having data has really firmed my convictions! grin

Last edited by Cathy A; 03/25/08 04:47 PM.