What tests: SB-V and WJ-III

What age(s): 4 years 9 months and 5 years 1 month

What questions you had in your mind: My initial question was whether or not I should move my son from his current preschool where he was having behavior issues and complaining of boredom to a more expensive, more academic Montessori school. I knew DS was probably very bright, if not gifted but I needed proof to make such a drastic move for my son, especially since I have two other children attending the same preschool.

What you learned: That DS is much more gifted than I could have imagined. He wasn't reading at 2 or even 3 so I really thought that his scores would be in the above average to mod. gifted range. Since he had the SB-V, I must admit that I go out of my way to find new challenges and exposures for him. I also have started to advocate for a grade skip for this fall. I know that without test score this would not have even crossed my mind. The WJ-III testing was done solely for entrance to the DYS program. We are still anxiously awaiting the decision.

We had all our testing done by a private psychologist that is retired and does testing out of her home. She used to live locally but since she retired she moved 1.5 hours and one state away. Prior to retirement she did testing on gifted children as an occupation. Our local gifted group has had many children tested by this woman.

When I called to make an inquiry for testing, she went out of her way to get to know my family. She offered great advice and just listened as I talked about our struggles. Even after the testing has been completed, she calls and e-mails frequently just to follow up and check in on us. When she finds a new resource in my community that may be of assistance she is quick to make the contact. My son thoroughly enjoyed the testing process. I know that when DD3 and DS1 are ready for testing I will have no hesitations about the 1.5 hour drive to use her.

Crisc