Originally Posted by Ann
Can anyone recommend something that DS2 can plant, in a container, take care of, and watch grow? After a recent trip to the Arboretum DS wants to try his hand at growing something. I'm also trying to make amends for not spending *quality* time with DS. I'm running off of 6hrs of sleep (total) for 3 days, and my lack of energy frustrates DS.

Now that I've got your attention wink ... any project ideas that we can do together where DS gets to touch and observe insects? We currently do an �I spy� game in our backyard for wee critters. When DS was a baby he loved books w/ pics of different types of butterflies. I'm rambling now... I hope everyone had a nice weekend!

Much love,
Ann

About two years ago we planted a couple of butterfly hostplants (milkweed and passion vine) in a container and placed the container on our back patio. We regularly have butterflies lay eggs on our plants. When the caterpillars mature we put them into a butterfly habit (available almost anyplace that sells toys) where the caterpillars make their chrysalises then emerged as butterflies. My girls still love watching the entire process. Make sure you find hostplants for butterflies native to your area.

If you like butterflies, you could also plant some seeds for flowers that attract local butterflies. Most places that sell plants sell these small soil discs that are terrific for seedlings. It is really easy with minimal mess.

This website lists butterflies by state and county. It also identifies hostplants and nectar plants for each species.
http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/map