Originally Posted by 2giftgirls
I also would be hesitant for lunch with the older kids if SHE doesn't want that or is worried about it. I'd hate to see her so overly concerned about lunch that it intereferes with her enjoyment of her enrichment time.

I think I would choose enrichment over the lunch socialization but I can see how the school might turn this into you DECLINING the GT, kwim?

I guess, what I don't understand, is, why isn't she doing GT work while the rest of the first grade class is doing the regular math or what have you?

The G/T class isn't enrichment... it's the replacement for the regular math and language arts she'd be doing in the 1st-grade classroom. She does math and LA at an advanced level in the G/T class, but then she's supposed to rejoin her homeroom for the rest of the day.

Her first grade class now does math and LA during DD's G/T hours, though that wasn't the case early in the year. DD's G/T minutes were increased at the same time her 1st grade class' lunch time was moved up. DD is in a G/T class for 1st-3rd grades, and it ends just in time for 2nd-3rd to take lunch. DD is the only 1st grader in G/T, so she's the only one impacted.

DD's not being asked to go to lunch with older kids or lose G/T entirely... she'd only have to give up the extra 40 minutes. That's still not cool.