Originally Posted by JonLaw
I'm not saying that French companies don't benefit the French and that German companies don't benefit the Germans and that the Chinese companies don't benefit the Chinese.

What' I'm saying is that the U.S. gets the most benefit from the current arrangement. Because it is a U.S. system. Built by the U.S. after WWII. Those bajillion military everywhere people always talk about? See WWII and the Cold War for details.

Do you think that 5% of the global population is consuming 25% of global energy by accident?

The U.S. won the Cold War, so it gets to be the "hyperpower" for a little while until someone challenges it, which hasn't happened yet, but always happens because nations tend to behave in a rather predictable fashion and since about 1500 it's been working in a particularly Western pattern.

Well, since all the biggest nations are completely wrapped up in one another's economies now, I do wonder if they'll want to even engage in war.

Anyway, this is way off where we were taking this.

Do gifted people have a responsibility to lead by example if they are the ones in power now? And what kind of example?