How do you guys like to debate?

Because I tend to state my opinions but also play devil's advocate a bit. Then I hope and pray for someone to come back at me (calmly, not angrily, of course) with opinions and facts completely different from what I'm saying so I can see things in a different way. Then I sometimes completely change my mind and go over to the other person's way of thinking if they've made a lot of good points.

Am I the only one who does this? To me, that's the best part of an intelligent debate. But I've only had one friend in the last like 5 years who enjoyed playing with ideas as much as I did irl.

It doesn't work if people feel too offended right away and don't want to share their side. I lost a friend (not a "real" friend, an online acquaintance) on fb the other day because she took something I was debating about personally, even though it barely related to her or her life.

Maybe this thread really is too offensive, like the others I've been apart of recently, but they don't seem that way to me.

I learned a long time ago to just be quiet most of the time and I've barely had any interesting conversations in that past few years with anybody besides a small number of friends and my family, since my immediate family always talks about important things this way.

Last edited by islandofapples; 02/20/12 11:23 AM.