Originally Posted by annette
Pulling out my dictionary (...again, sigh):

a·lert   
adjective
1.fully aware and attentive; ,wide-awake; keen: an alert mind

Can any of us think of antonyms for wide-awake?

So if the gifted literature is clear that gifted babies are often more alert, then what are more typical babies doing? Maybe looking sleepy? Maybe with that glazed eye look we all get when we are sleepy?

I suppose if you are looking to be offended, you will be, no matter what I say.
No matter what the dictionary says!

Be offended! Yippee for you! What a wonderful attitude to have in life.
Good luck with that.

hu·mil·i·ty noun \hyü-ˈmi-lə-tē, yü-\
Definition of HUMILITY
: the quality or state of being humble
See humility defined for English-language learners »
See humility defined for kids »
Related to HUMILITY
Synonyms: demureness, down-to-earthness, humbleness, lowliness, meekness, modesty
Antonyms: arrogance, assumption, bumptiousness, conceit, egoism, egotism, haughtiness, hauteur, huffiness, imperiousness, loftiness, lordliness, peremptoriness, pomposity, pompousness, presumptuousness, pretense (or pretence), pretension, pretentiousness, pride, pridefulness, superciliousness, superiority, toploftiness

Definition of HUMBLE
1: not proud or haughty : not arrogant or assertive
2: reflecting, expressing, or offered in a spirit of deference or submission
And just for fun to reference a previous thread on leadership, what does
Humility-Leadership Training have to do with leadership?

"Humility is all about maintaining our pride about who we are, about our achievements, about our worth – but without arrogance – it is the antithesis of hubris, that excessive, arrogant pride which often leads to the derailment of some corporate heroes, as it does with the downfall of the tragic hero in Greek drama. It's about a quiet confidence without the need for a meretricious selling of our wares. It's about being content to let others discover the layers of our talents without having to boast about them. It's a lack of arrogance, not a lack of aggressiveness in the pursuit of achievement."