My 4th grader Cat attends a private school that hasn't been a perfect fit academically, but has been the best option up 'til now. She makes straight A's in the advanced group and is reasonably happy. The Math and Language Arts are below her abilities, but she does very well socially, and its cool to be smart there.
BUT we're out of money and have to leave the school next year. We've been researching options, and Cat has come up with a plan of her own. She wants to homeschool next year, using the same texbooks as the state and covering the full coursework for 5th and 6th grade in 1 year, then transfer into the 7th grade, which offers Honors English and Math classes.
I think this would work very well for her, putting her right where she belongs academically.
Has anyone tried this kind of acceleration without actually skipping anything? Did it work, or did you run into a wall of opposition?
I'm afraid we're going to end up with a kid forced to repeat sixth grade with the exact same textbooks.