Hmmm. Thank you for all that. This is not even close to the first exchange with the vp or the teachers. I have asked for a math skip to fifth grade and was told that it doesn't ever happen and won't. I had a meeting with both her teachers a month into school to tell them how dd was frustrated and needed more challenging work. I was told that my dd was properly placed and that all kids were expected to do the same homework because they correct in class together and it would be socially akward for some students to have other homework.
At pt conferences I let the math teacher know that it was great that dd was able to test out of units, and making games instead of repeting work she already mastered was a great thing but that I would rather see her moving ahead. This request was not met which led to the dec meetin in which the vp agreed to talk to the enrichment teacher about giving the classroom teacher some things to do for moving foward in math and not just keeping busy. She is still stuck in forth grade math, doing the same homework every day as the rest of the class and almost the same classwork as well. Not very much differentiation at all and when there is a twist to the lesson for her, it really isn't far enough.

So I feel like I have discussed all I can discuss with this teacher who claims that it is against her policy to move kids beyond the forth grade curriculum. She is a very smart, organized and energetic teacher and I do believe she would do an excelwnt job of teaching harder material to some kids and not others.

The reading teacher is another story. I don't believe she knows anything about my dd. She has even callled her by the wrong name. She told me at conferences that dd was doing "fine" and she was glad she was in chess club because you have to plan ahead in chess and it's good for dd to do "hard" things. She also said that loves playing chess herself and is so happy to have dd in the class for when she forgets how a piece moves. I don't have a clue how to talk to this woman. My dd has her own blog, started teaching herself HTML, knows Photoshop better than most adults. When she had just turned two, she tried to play a video on the backyardigans site from an alternate browser. When it didn't play she exclaimed "this browser doesn't play these movies". We never told her about browsers. So, when LA teacher discourges her from making a PowerPoint presentation even though it was on of the prions given to all the children, obviously she knows nothing about her. She think dd will ask too many questions that she won't know how to answer. I honestly haven't really tried to get anywhere with this teacher. I don't understand her at all and when we talk it is like we are talking about a random kid, not mine. I asked her what dd should read since she is required to read at a lexile 1210 and the teacher just said that dd has already read soooo many books and gave no suggestions. She just said that most books at that level are inappropriate for her and left it at that.

So as u can see, I have no clue how to talk to her or even what to ask for. I just want her to care about my dd and her learning and her feelings. But you can't make someone care!