Hello everyone! This will be long, so please bear with me.

My DS is 5.5 and in Kindergarten this year. He has always had an issue with hitting when he was upset. When he was 2 and 3, we just figured it was normal toddler stuff. It has continued.

He hits other kids when they are doing something DS thinks is wrong. Example: a classmate was playing with the leaves on the ground on the playground at school. DS thought he was doing the wrong thing, so he went up and hit the other boy.

Another example: My DD (age 4) was just standing in between DS and the TV, DS gets off the couch and goes up to her and hits her because she was standing in his way.

We have talked to him approximately 34,239 times about the correct way to handle those types of situations ... first, tell the other person to stop or whatever, then if they don't, you tell mom/dad/teacher/whoever.

We've tried timeouts. We've tried taking privileges away, which just makes him angrier and then he hits us.

At school, he has had warnings and for the next infraction, he is going to be sent to the office. Same for the school bus. I'm totally fine with him being sent to the office.

I just don't know what to do any more. This is completely unacceptable, but I don't know how to stop it from happening. It happens so fast that even if I'm right next to him, I can't stop him from escalating. And of course, I can't be with him all day at school.

Has anyone else gone through this? What worked for you? Starting Monday, our days at home are getting much more structure. I had him help me come up with a list of things to do after school (he's in morning Kindy) - lunch, HW, outside time, snack, quiet time, drawing time.

I do think he is bored somewhat at school. He doesn't have much of a chance to be as creative as he needs to be. He also says that he doesn't finish his work quickly because he wants it to be "just right" and then he can't do the fun stuff.

At this point, I'm open to trying anything!!!!!

Thank you!

Sherry