I just recently went through this process for my DS8 last year. I first started by visiting the Ohio Education website to understand what the public school districts have to do. After understanding the guidlines the school districts have to follow I used it to speak with my DS8 school. I started with the counselor by explaining that I would like my son tested to understand where he is at. I wanted to understand where he was on the curve so I could better understand how much I need to be an advocate for him. So I requested/referred for my DS8 to be tested. This was obviously a new question for this school and she said she would check witht he gifted lead for the district to find out next steps. That lead to an IQ test and a seperate test for just Math. After testing we met with the district gifted person to understand the tests. At the meeting we brought up the possibility of acceleration in Math. We asked how the process would work. She said we should request this through the counselor and that their would be a committee formed. This began the uphill battle. After 4 meetings and 3 monthes with the principle, current teacher, enrichment teacher, counselor and then a 3rd grade teacher the principle decided to let us give it a try. Obviously it wasn't that easy but that was the end result. So DS8 started this year going up 1 grade in Math. If I had not been so pushy, knowledgeable on what they should or could do, and presistant they would have never done it. I believe the principle didn't think it would work. It worked and has been the best thing we could have ever done for him. Just keep pushing and become as knowledgable as they are. Keep being an advocate for your child. If you have questions please let me know.

DS9 Gifted / ADHD