Just a quick update--- We had conferences last night and I think I know where at least part of his frustration is coming from. For one thing, they are currently learning to add with an algorithm that teaches them multiple digit addition from left to right i.e. 18+18 is written in columns and they will add the 10's, writing that answer below then they will ad the 1's place and write that answer below that.
+18
----
+16
----
+ 6
----
Not only does he not like doing the math this way but it is interfering with the way he had been doing it before so that he is now confused about which side to start on, when to carry etc... He's been able to do this problem for a long time now but got it wrong the other day because he was combining the two different methods. I think, now that I have some idea what they are doing, that I can work this out with him. We also found out that the 2nd grade class is spending 90 minutes a day on math whereas Connor's only in there for 60 minutes of it. I think he's doing quite well considering he's only getting 2/3 of the instruction time.
On a positive note, his attitude and behavior have been great. The worrying behaviors that we were seeing at the beginning of the year have disappeared or lessened dramatically since spending time in 2nd grade. He loves his science and Chinese classes, has a 'girlfriend' in Kindy and just generally likes school. Also, his reading level has gone up from around a mid 2nd grade fluency in October/November to around a mid 3rd grade level now.