Yes, we have the same problem when it comes to food allergies. As a conscientious parent, I feel like it's my duty to see that the doctor's orders with regard to DD are carried out. One of the requirements for these kids is that they be supervised at all times by an adult trained to recognize and treat anaphylaxis. But the school places roadblocks.

According to the teachers' contract, teachers cannot be required to administer injections. Those who volunteer for training can administer injections IF they have current CPR certification. The district and teachers' union strongly discourage teachers from volunteering due to liability issues. The result: only the administrators are trained to give the epipen. What happens at lunch time, when the administrators are gone to lunch? When my DD is at highest risk for exposure to peanut? You are probably wondering, "What about the school nurse?" We have a school nurse only one day a week. So my kid is only allowed to suffer anaphylaxis on Fridays. That's what funding cuts will do for you.

I could rant more, but your eyes are probably glazing over...

Cathy

Last edited by Cathy A; 03/19/08 10:31 AM.