Originally Posted by Justlearnfast
.The gifted education program stresses five areas:
1. AKS extensions
2. accelerated learning
3. research and reference skills
4. communication skills
5. metacognition/cognitive strategy development

By their screen name I'll bet the kid of just learns fast exhibits the second of the five areas the gifted program stresses.

And here's the offerings that draw from her local gifted Program-
Competitive events for gifted education students are selected at the local school level. Gwinnett's students may participate in Future Problem Solving, Odyssey of the Mind, Destination ImagiNation, National Academic League, Scholar's Bowl, Debate and The Governor's Honors Program.

Are these the type of things your kid wants to do after school with their free time. Google the first three justlearnfast. I've read that they are time-consuming after school activities. Is that the kind of thing your kid wants?

Not that that helps your kid get in. Just making conversation.
Also, I agree... Private testing is expensive and not done lightly, maybe something to get in some private schools, but not really for a gifted pull-out program in your school.

I might get called a pushy parent, but I'll bet the squeaky wheel gets oiled. Bet if you keep asking they'll test your kid eventually. If you think they'll like those after school competitive events listed at the bottom of your gifted program's page then I say ask and keep asking, the teacher, the principal. It does seem like you think they'll score high enough.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar