Okay, I've been dithering about this for over a week now--which is totally not like me!--and I feel like I need to get some input from the chorus about what to do about DS6's education next year.

We have two reasonably good options available to us, and I'm trying to decide between them:

#1 Part-time home school and part-time at the private GT school
Pros:
  • I will not be solely responsible for DS6's education anymore, and can return to a more usual mom-son relationship
  • DS6 will get some social interaction without my having to be social
  • DS6 will have a more usual school experience, getting used to following directions from other adults, not just from me

Cons:
  • Cost--even part-time, the school is very expensive
  • Driving time--the school is 30 minutes away one-way, and it's in the opposite direction from DS3's preschool; as both pickup times are at roughly the same time, this could satisfy the criteria for "logistical nightmare!"
  • Size--there are only 6 other kids in his class for next year, and that's a combined 2nd/3rd grade class; it's not like this would be a social bonanza for him...

#2 Full-time Home Schooling
Pros:
  • This is DS6's preference
  • Babysitting is a lot cheaper than the private GT school
  • No driving unless I want to drive
  • We've got a year under our belts, and I know what we're doing academically; I like being able to tailor the work to him and him alone
  • We've just started developing what could be lasting friendships with other HSers, and it would be nice to continue those
  • It's been nice to spend more time with DS6--he's fun!
  • DS3 is in preschool 5 afternoons per week, so I won't have to feel like I'm ignoring DS3 some days in order to teach DS6; we'll just have school when DS3 has school.
  • He may be getting used to the system enough that I can have him do more independent work while I get some writing done
  • We have plenty more babysitting help now and for next year (more than one sitter helps!), so I think I can get enough time alone to remain sane.

Cons:
  • What if I can't get enough time alone to remain sane? eek I don't think I can survive another "by the skin of my teeth" year like this one!
  • The neighbor boy will be in full-time 1st grade next year, so it will be harder to get DS6 to go play and leave me alone if I need him to go play
  • I'll still have to be social when he is most of the time, since to get social time for him most of the time, we'll have to go to HSers' events.
  • I worry that DS6 is getting too much of my attention and DS3 isn't getting enough

I think I'm leaning toward HSing full-time, but am I just letting the less-money-and-less-hassle sway me? There is also the fact that I would have greater control over DS6's education and can do exactly what he needs. I'm not 100% sure the school can do that...But the PT arrangement seems like such a good one! Am I nuts to reject what two months ago seemed like the perfect solution!?

Okay, so whaddya think? Mouseketeer roll-call sound off now! wink

Kriston