Non-related FB quote that vaguely applies,
" nothing raises the water level quite like a fleet of sinking ships. "
Meanwhile I think part of the problem is that the educational standards have to be set globally instead of within the community. �Ok, it's only fair that kids in one community are taught to the same standards as kids in another community for national proficiency. �Now to further muddy the waters standards have to become truly a global bar rather than "just" national coherency. �Didn't we see this planetary unity coming from our own childhood dreams? �Maybe we didn't see the matrix-style computerized project it would become. �(I envisioned jet packs and sky-ways). �
What does "a fair chance" even mean when we have more resources, capabilities, and opportunities than any previous century? �Not everybody wants their kids to leave their community or get a better education. �I'm thinking of mothers who do not want their kids to leave the state to go to college, of previous generations who did not want to sign the release for their minor sons to join the military early, and even parents who don't want to consider boarding school. �
Then, what are you going to do with your education? �Get a better job? �Not everybody finishes school before they need a job. �Most people say, "then raise the standard in all the communities". �How, just, how?
I skew optimistic. �

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar