Hi - I'm new to this too, but I can try to give you a couple of resources that might be useful. Since you've already found this site, you're ahead of the game already. My dear son (DS) just turned 4, and he displayed many of the same behaviors as your son. We have decided to get him formally tested to see if early K is a good option, and to learn more about how best to educate the wee-un. It's interesting about the neck muscles as a newborn - my DS4 was the same way (his neck muscles were strong at birth).

I would say since your son is just 2 1/2 you don't really need to to anything special except follow his lead in terms of what he's interested in. Going to different places is fun - zoos, childrens museums, science museums. It sounds like you are doing a great job by just listening and answering all the questions your son has. Buy your son toys you think he'd be interested in and don't worry so much about the age requirements (unless your son likes to put stuff in his mouth). Gifted kids can enjoy toys meant for older kids.

I read Deborah Ruf's book "Losing our Minds: Gifted Children Left Behind" and found it very helpful in identifying our son as gifted. There are excellent descriptions about what how gifted kids act when they were infants/toddlers and as they get older. This book also describes the different levels of giftedness (moderately to profoundly). I definitely could see my kid in many of the stories from this book. Since your son has hit many of these early milestones, this book may be useful to you. Not all gifted kids will fit into the categories listed by Ruf.

I also liked "A Parent's Guide to Gifted Children" by James T. Webb, a good comprehensive overview.

Hoagiesgifted.org is a good resource for all things gifted. Look under Parents to find articles and more.

There are many others on this website with lots more experience who will be able to give you more info. Your son sounds delightful. Good luck!

Last edited by st pauli girl; 03/06/08 09:12 AM.