Originally Posted by spiritedmama
I don't think it's equivalent.

In fact, I've come to really dislike the Cogat test. My HG+ ds has taken it twice and both times not scored above 92%. However, he's taken the WPPSI, SB5 and the WISC-IV twice. On each of these he scored 99%+. I wish I could find more research on the inaccuracies of this test for HG students. It cares quite a bit of weight in many school systems when working on GT placement.
Anyone know of a source?
You and me both! That's nearly the exact same spot we're in with our younger dd. I've also seen a number of kids come out "gifted" on the CogAT who don't seem to be. A mom on another forum recently posted that her dc got 97th-99th percentile scores on the CogAT and a 100 FSIQ on an actual IQ test. FWIW, the mom didn't think her dc was gifted and thought that the CogAT showed the potential for high achievement and that her dc was simply a high achiever. I wonder if it is both giving false negatives and false positives and would also love to see some research into the validity (not reliability) when used to id high ability.