Originally Posted by barbarajean
But he will overreact when things go wrong. He feels when things don't go his way its b/c people are against him or its not fair....
I'm sorry if this long I just didn't know how to break the history.
Hi Barb:
I'm sorry your son had trouble with the first years of school. I read your post and the first thing I thought of was "good mom!". It sounds like you are working to find a better fit for your son and asking the right questions. I had a couple of thoughts for you.

1) I couldn't tell from your post if you have been spending time in your son's classroom. It is very normal in Montessori classrooms to observe, and I would suggest this wholeheartedly. You can see his behavior yourself and kind of sort it thought a "gifted" filter. I remember watching my dd almost run from work to work in her 2nd grade classroom. The teacher might have said hyperactivity, but I knew she was just trying to work through the basics to get "to the good stuff".

2) I would also support your inclination to find a counselor / child psych near you to work with you and your son for a bit. It sounds like your son needs to perhaps "unlearn" some of the thought processes he jumped to in 1/2nd grade and also learn some of the basic "friend" skills. My dd went for a few months to play therapy when she was in kindy; what a big difference it has made for her.