My point here is regarding what opting OUT of credit for a graduation requirement class may mean for obtaining a regular (as opposed to :modified: ) diploma...

One's state may have plenty to say about what constitutes a high school diploma (so with all due respect, Bostonian, it may not be up to the school to make an exception), and retaking a (then-remedial) course as a moody adolescent isn't a situation I'd wish on anyone. grin

For example:

Washington's current graduation CREDIT requirements

and general graduation requirements.

Oregon's are even MORE convoluted.

In California, a number of courses are specifically noted as "required" for a diploma.

The requirements in some places are inflexible, too, because they aren't "policy," they're actually written into state law. Honestly mathematics is probably the least problematic in this respect. If one gets into the language arts or social science offerings as non-credit propositions too early, that can create some real problems later, as I'm sure is clear from the three state examples cited above.

I do understand that radically accelerated students may choose NOT to finish high school and recieve a standard diploma. Care may be necessary if it is to be a "choice."

Seek information. Don't guess if you don't have to. That's all I'm advocating. (We're in the thick of this, which is how I am painfully aware of the compromises that must sometimes be made in order to satisfy a state bureaucratic machine that doesn't have a "slot" for PG kids-- I would MUCH rather that my then-nine-year-old hadn't been made to take a course that college admissions offices will eventually see... but that WAS the least-worst option.)

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.