Originally Posted by Wren
I do not understand your response to my question Val.
Ren

As I mentioned, I was just trying to understand what your question is here. Here's why I thought you were focusing on Ivy admissions:

Originally Posted by Wren
And I am not sure about outcomes from state colleges and Harvard or Yale. They wouldn't have the endowments they have if their grads had the same outcomes.

I am not saying you aren't a doctor if you attend medical school in Iowa, but what is the likelihood of getting the residency you want? I cannot believe how competitive it is to get a good residency these days.

Or if you want a job in a top law firm or investment bank.

Investment banks tend to like a few schools and yes, the focus is on the MBA but getting into the MBA is competitive too and more kids from top schools tend to get into Harvard and Wharton MBA programs.

I think the point, thank you Mark, is not the list of schools but percentages. If one kid in 1000 goes to U of Mississippi but 200 go to MIT, that is very different...

And why pay 50K per year for high school when Stuyvesant is free and Harvard loves the grads. I think last year they took 26 out of 700 or something.

I expect her to have the scores and she has legacy.

These quotes are what make me think you're trying to optimize chances for Ivy admission. You've said you're thinking of leaving NYC, so I was throwing out non-NYC suggestions. I wasn't trying to be rude. I was trying to help. Enough said. If you want me to stop responding, I will. No worries.

How long would the commute to Stuyvesant be? Quality of life could be an issue if she'll be travelling a long way.

The Bay area has lots of options like the ones you describe. We have a plethora of language programs, loads of science camps throughout the year and colleges everywhere. High school students can enroll in community college classes free of charge. Plus it's sunny here. What about the Long Island School for the Gifted? I've heard good things about it, and it's close to New York.

Do you think your daughter will finish high school when she's 14 or 13 or 12? If so, the DA might be a good choice, because there will be other kids her age there.

My son is 11 and will be in 8th grade next year. He's at a combined middle/high school and the age- and social-outlook-gap is already big WRT the high schoolers (think of an pre-pubescent kid surrounded by 14-18 year olds). I have a friend who graduated when he was 15. He told me that he was too young to socialize and he missed that terribly. Not the first time I've heard that. I'm not saying that social mismatch problems WILL happen, but there's a high probability, and I think it's essential to consider it and create strategies to address it.

Last edited by Val; 05/10/11 11:21 AM. Reason: Clarity