Originally Posted by CFK
Originally Posted by Bostonian
Before 9th grade, I don't think grades matter much, so I would not worry much about the permanent record.

Classes that earn highschool credit do count for college apps, no matter when or where they are taken.

Another problem is that some highschools might allow a younger student to enroll in a highschool class but not offer highschool credit. But then they will not allow a child to repeat a class previously taken. So if the student takes, for example, Algebra, Algebra II and Geometry prior to highscool enrollment, he or she would still be required to earn 4 math credits for graduation during highschool. If the school only offers up to Calculus, the student will run out of math courses to take to graduate. This can be a problem for children that subject accelerate far in advance of their base grade.

(not saying not to do it, just to educate yourself about all the possible ramifications)

QFT.

Oh, and this: "Welcome to my Nightmare," as the song says... whistle

In some states there are hard graduation requirements-- so if you 'audit' one of those courses, then yes, at some point, you WILL have to repeat it in order to graduate with a standard high school diploma.

Most of the time, if a child is clearly ready for this level of instruction, there wouldn't really be any problem getting the child high school CREDIT for the course-- but you'll need to investigate that ahead of time.

We've had to move through some very strange and uncharted waters with a few of these things.

For example:

most parents are never aware of how "official" grade placements work in high school. In at least some states, "high school" is.... well, it's a four-year placement that doesn't change until graduation, and once you have that label, you are assigned a "graduation cohort year" at which time, if you haven't yet completed a diploma, you're on the books as a 'failure' for the school, since you didn't graduate in four years...

anyway.

That's a long explanation for why we needed permission from the STATE D.o.Ed. for my DD to take high school courses for credit as an 8th grader-- without actually making her a 'ninth grader' on paper.

They had to make an exception for her. So yes, at an age where she'd be a fifth or sixth grader, she's taking credits that colleges will see on her transcripts. This is problematic in terms of her maturity in some respects, since she doesn't yet have the complete package of executive skills that would allow her to manage her time or see into the future (cause and effect) the way her academic peers do.

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 05/09/11 10:15 AM.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.