Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links
DITD Logo

Learn about the Davidson Academyís online high school for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute for Talent Development is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Davidson Fellows Scholarship
  • Davidson Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    4 registered (OCJD, Dude, ElizabethN, thx1138), 0 Guests and 159 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    kl228162, SET, Lisa2, Ps0705, serenabingle@yah
    10194 Registered Users
    April
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    8 9 10 11 12 13 14
    15 16 17 18 19 20 21
    22 23 24 25 26 27 28
    29 30
    Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
    Forum   Subject
    Twice Exceptional
    Welcome! In addition to Platypus's wise advice, I will suggest another category of reading difficulty. It may be that your DC has sufficient phonological processing to decode (hence the strong scores in phonetic decoding and word calling), but lack
    General Discussion
    Jump to new posts Re: Against the bachelor's degree by SarahMarie @ Today at 07:53 AM

My point is that if your goal is to reduce healthcare costs, simply doing away with the bachelors degree requirements for MDs will not have a meaningful impact. My husband made it through 4 years of undergrad with zero debt, but we have a wagon load
    Twice Exceptional
    Jump to new posts Re: ADHD meds and genetic testing by aeh @ Today at 07:41 AM

First off, we have not done this. But I do have some thoughts: What were the contraindications for stimulants? Were they expected to have low therapeutic effectiveness, or to have serious side effects? There's a big difference between those two r
    General Discussion
    Jump to new posts Re: Strong OEs in moderately gifted child by melissan @ Today at 05:44 AM

SoCali, OT has been mentioned to me by a friend whose child required it to help with some impulse control (which we could also use) and sensory issues, and it is not off the table as an option. When my son did his testing, the psychologist did say t
    College
    Jump to new posts Re: Harvard drops credit for AP and IB exams by cricket3 @ Today at 04:23 AM

Originally Posted By: aehI have absolutely zero personal experience with APUSH, but one of the faculty in our school has written items for the test, and I will say this individual runs a pretty rigorous AP class. We also happen to have two history f
    High School
    Jump to new posts Re: Associates Degree worth acquiring? Downsides? by Quantum2003 @ Yesterday at 12:23 PM

The problem is that as freshmen, their plans and preferences are likely to undergo many changes. Choice of undergrad will be significantly impacted by intentions regarding a terminal degree. One of the issue is that they are expected to reach 60 cr
    Parenting and Advocacy
    Jump to new posts Re: Accelerated math in second grade? by Portia @ Yesterday at 12:02 PM

https://beastacademy.com/
    General Discussion
    Jump to new posts Re: DYS question by Portia @ Yesterday at 12:01 PM

Try it and see what happens. If they want more information, they can ask for it. If narrative is not available, you can ask DYS about portfolio items.
    Identification, Testing & Assessment
    Jump to new posts Re: Grade Skip - Meeting with the team by ss62 @ Yesterday at 12:01 PM

We had the meeting yesterday with the guidance team. It was planned for 45 minutes and ended up going on for an hour, which still was not enough. The gifted programs people are clearly hesitant to go with the acceleration. They had a lot of 'what if'
    College
    Jump to new posts Re: Escalating American Public University Tuition by Old Dad @ Yesterday at 06:30 AM

Originally Posted By: aquinas Now...tuition rates at public universities are high. What can we do to fix the root cause, which is the pricing model, rather than continue to talk at cross-purposes about the optimal tuition payor? We can make some hea
    Identification, Testing & Assessment
    Jump to new posts Re: Son is Scattered and So are his scores by melissan @ 04/24/18 11:19 AM

My son had a similar spread on the WISC V. It wasn't quite as extreme, but his Verbal was very high, Processing Speed much lower, and VSI was almost as low as PSI. We sought out testing because we were seeing some real life problems that were prese
    Learning Environments
    Jump to new posts Re: Writing support by mary.ger @ 04/24/18 03:30 AM

Originally Posted By: PdxgftMy PG kidís writing is frustrating for him and does not reflect his intellect/potential ability. Don't give up on writing. I'm sure, your son really has potential! You only need time and some efforts. The best way to impr
    Twice Exceptional
    Thanks, spaghetti, for more up-to-date info on litigation. Sadly, in the absence (or even presence) of OCR settlements, and even during this school year cycle, CB does appear to be trying to make its own rules. Even if they are not supposed to. Un
    Parenting and Advocacy
    Jump to new posts Re: DS identified as gifted - where to begin by Isabel @ 04/23/18 01:19 PM

Thanks a lot! I'll read and (try to) process all this information and then maybe come back for more
    College
    Jump to new posts Re: Transferring college credits by Old Dad @ 04/23/18 10:36 AM

I've also seen lately that what classes transfer can depend on which major one is pursuing. I'm told that at one of our state colleges, if you're going into the Pharmaceutical track, they accept zero AP credits, the same doesn't hold true for other m
    General Discussion
    Jump to new posts Re: The price is too high! by Melissa @ 04/23/18 07:04 AM

I am locking this thread due to the overwhelming number of complaints.
    General Discussion
    Jump to new posts Re: Mensa / Annual gathering for GY by Andreap @ 04/22/18 05:04 PM

I will !
    High School
    Jump to new posts Re: SSA Foreign Language in High School by Quantum2003 @ 04/22/18 12:59 PM

The World Language chair teaches the AP classes in this particular language and is dismissive of attempts to skip the fourth year in this language only regardless of the 3rd year teachers' opinions or the students' actual abilities. Since the commun
    General Discussion
    Jump to new posts Re: Impressed with Public School by KJP @ 04/22/18 09:53 AM

On financial literacy, my son (and all the fourth graders Iíve talked to) are super excited about this program: http://jawashington.org/about-us These programs should be everywhere.
    Learning Environments
    Jump to new posts LF list private/publc GT high schools around US by Honu72 @ 04/21/18 11:44 PM

We are planning to move to provide the best option for our children for high school. They are not PG. I am disappointed to find how difficult it is to access information about gifted-only programs throughout the country. We are looking for a place th
    General Discussion
    Jump to new posts Grade skipping outcomes by Tigerle @ 04/21/18 01:52 PM

My oldest, D11, moved to a gifted program for fifth grade. He is now in 6th. One of the things he has enjoyed was moving from always being the youngest in the classroom to being smack bang in the middle of the age group - at least half of the class
    Twice Exceptional
    Jump to new posts Re: Talking to Your Child by Marjn @ 04/21/18 11:52 AM

I'm saving this as well. Perhaps I'll even print excerpts to have somewhere to remind me as I talk to my DD. Note on our related experience, if at all helpful. Due to DD11's low self esteem, we started having conversations asking her what made her
    Twice Exceptional
    Jump to new posts Re: Reverse acceleration due to ADHD?? by indigo @ 04/21/18 11:00 AM

Thanks for the feedback, hope you and kiddo have a great weekend!
    Parenting and Advocacy
    Jump to new posts Re: What would you ask? by Emigee @ 04/21/18 07:51 AM

Ooh, I really like the idea of potentially getting in touch with other parents with similar kiddos. Thanks, Philly. And we will definitely ask about how the school has dealt with similar students recently. I know students can get GIEPs in our distric
    Twice Exceptional
    Jump to new posts Re: Most Helpful Books for Parents? by philly103 @ 04/20/18 12:48 PM

I have "The Whole Brain Child" and have found it very helpful for modeling my engagement with my son. We don't have any special needs like ADHD or similar concerns but I think it's a helpful resource no matter what a child's specific needs might be.
    Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
    Recent Posts
    Thoughts on "Relative Weakness, Not 2e" Diagnosis?
    by aeh
    08:04 AM
    Against the bachelor's degree
    by SarahMarie
    07:53 AM
    ADHD meds and genetic testing
    by aeh
    07:41 AM
    Strong OEs in moderately gifted child
    by melissan
    05:44 AM
    Harvard drops credit for AP and IB exams