Re: Detracking indigo 03/17/24 03:23 AM
thnx1138, I tend to agree. When "tracking" is flexible and designed to meet educational needs based on readiness and ability, it is positive and defensible.

At the same time, I do believe that some changes may be called for, to the degree that "tracking" may be seen as rationing opportunities. This may be true in educational settings and also in professions. The "American Dream" is unlimited social mobility by merit of one's own hard work and determination. Some systems have evolved to ration opportunities, not by readiness and ability, but by multi-generational wealth. This may happen to a degree in schools, and to a larger degree in professions, while feigning equal access. The downside is creating a caste society, in which some have "privilege" and others do not.

Imagine a society in which persons in a particular profession earn 6x the average annual earnings of most citizens. It would seem that parents employed in that profession could most easily afford a variety of college and university opportunities for their offspring. Interestingly, their employment benefits package includes free tuition for their offspring, if studying to enter the same field. While those in the profession may revel in the "tracking"... to others, the appearance of that profession's "privilege" may tend to polarize society. I have seen this occurring with regard to the medical profession, where offspring could attend medical school for free.

All this is to say, I understand why some may have concerns about aspects of "tracking" as tracking may have a variety of meanings and apply to a broad variety of policies, processes, and procedures.
3 4,291 Read More