Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links
DITD Logo

Learn about the Davidson Academy’s online campus for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute for Talent Development is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Davidson Fellows Scholarship
  • Davidson Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    1 registered (Wren), 0 Guests and 269 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Cyriopagopus, georgeevans, microsteris, meditatebody, racheltaylor
    10695 Registered Users
    February
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
    Forum   Subject
    Identification, Testing & Assessment
    Jump to new posts Re: Levels of Giftednes by aeh @ 02/17/20 02:07 PM

I readily admit that I haven't thought these out thoroughly, but for the sake of discussion, (and with acknowledgements to many unnamed sources that I've read or heard over the years) I'll offer these ideas. Do remember that these may or may not matc
    General Discussion
    Jump to new posts Re: Verbal Stregth vs Math/Spatial by Wren @ 02/17/20 11:44 AM

One point I disagree with MumOfThree. Physics is applied math. The logic of math is essential to programming. Chemistry is applied physics. There is so much you can do with math. Strategy is easier for mathy types. Because of the visual spatial
    General Discussion
    Jump to new posts Re: Verbal Stregth vs Math/Spatial by MumOfThree @ 02/17/20 11:11 AM

Originally Posted By: pinewood1I was one of these kids until high school. I actually made an overnight leap in math at the age of 15 [...] I do find that I'm slower at arithmetic than most mathy adults, but just the experience of being thrown into
    General Discussion
    Jump to new posts Re: Verbal Stregth vs Math/Spatial by MumOfThree @ 02/17/20 11:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Platypus101 In my experience (with two 2E kids of opposite "persuasions"), verbal children are far easier to support academically. Even in an unsupportive system, they can self-enrich - read, write, research, analyze - to the d
    General Discussion
    Jump to new posts Re: Verbal Stregth vs Math/Spatial by Wren @ 02/17/20 09:48 AM

I am one of those that score PG in math but have difficulty with verbal. I even have to have a running movie in my head to really get what someone is saying. Names are really hard, but I can remember the phone number. DH was very strong verbally,
    Adult
    Jump to new posts Re: Dear Therapist by pinewood1 @ 02/17/20 08:59 AM

Indigo, I'm not a parent; I'm just a gifted adult survivor of severe child abuse, who has chosen not to have children so as not to pass on my suffering any further. My identification as gifted played a role in some of my trauma, and I hope to share s
    General Discussion
    Jump to new posts Re: Verbal Stregth vs Math/Spatial by pinewood1 @ 02/17/20 08:48 AM

I was one of these kids until high school. I actually made an overnight leap in math at the age of 15 and more or less "caught up" to where you'd expect my math ability to be given my global ability (I still consider it a relative weakness, but most
    Jump to new posts Re: Levels of Giftednes by pinewood1 @ 02/17/20 08:30 AM

Originally Posted By: aehIn recent years, both the DSM-5 and the AAIDD have moved to a "levels of support" model--which is, of course, more positively phrased than "levels of impairment"--but also emphasizes that two adults with the same tested IQ ca
    General Discussion
    Jump to new posts Re: Verbal Stregth vs Math/Spatial by aeh @ 02/17/20 08:20 AM

Platypus makes good points. I thought I would take a minute to search for publications on 2e/SLD, and came across this Belin-Blank guide on 2e for professionals from a few years back, which you may have seen before. There were two older revisions of
    General Discussion
    Jump to new posts Re: Verbal Stregth vs Math/Spatial by Platypus101 @ 02/17/20 06:17 AM

Dyscalculia is wildly under-recognized/ understood/ diagnosed, so it gets talked about a lot less than it should. That said, having a DD with both dyscalculia and dyslexia, I would guess the main reason for the paucity of attention is that in our mo
    Jump to new posts Re: Levels of Giftednes by MumOfThree @ 02/16/20 11:35 PM

Thank you both. Indigo I had read many of of those articles before, MANY years ago, the "Don't throw away..." article was particularly helpful to re-read in the current context. The discussion you linked to I was part of :-), amusing trip down memo
    Jump to new posts Re: Levels of Giftednes by indigo @ 02/16/20 02:31 PM

You've received great info from aeh, as usual. To clarify, when comparing scores between various test instruments, a collection of paired scores from each of the test instruments is assembled and analyzed. Each test-taker will have taken both of t
    Jump to new posts Re: Levels of Giftednes by aeh @ 02/16/20 12:48 PM

Well, in some ways, it's not possible to quite place the SBLM data in the current context, since they're not the same type of scaling, as I've discussed elsewhere. Ratio IQs were more intuitive, I think, to understand in terms of LOG, but also didn't
    Recommended Resources
    Jump to new posts Re: Study Skills class recommendations needed by indigo @ 02/16/20 11:48 AM

Understood.org exists to address learning differences and learning disabilities. Topics such as ADD/ADHD and Executive Function Skills are covered. Here is a link to one webpage from Understood.org, about learning and practicing Study Skills.
    Recommended Resources
    Jump to new posts Re: Study Skills class recommendations needed by tigerhog @ 02/16/20 11:22 AM

I am still working on this one with my child. She *never* study for anything and the whole time I thought that's the way it supposed to be, in elementary and all. She just started middle school and I am hoping things will change but nope. Testing is
    Jump to new posts Re: Levels of Giftednes by indigo @ 02/16/20 11:20 AM

This webpage from Hoagies Gifted Education Page may be of interest: Highly, Exceptionally, Profoundly Gifted Not exactly what you are asking for in your post, but may also be of interest... ...from Hoagies: - WISC, WPPSI V SB-LM - Don't throw away
    Recommended Resources
    Jump to new posts Study Skills class recommendations needed by madeinuk @ 02/16/20 07:37 AM

Our DYS DD15 still struggles with perfectionism and I cannot but think that learning better study skills would help to take her out of this particular ‘Slough of Despond’. I have read that many bright kids paradoxically suffer from having anemic stu
    Jump to new posts Re: Levels of Giftednes by Alannc44 @ 02/16/20 06:29 AM

Does Davidson have such a chart showing correlations between SB 5 and LM? Seems like they would have accumulated quite a data base.
    Jump to new posts Re: Levels of Giftednes by MumOfThree @ 02/16/20 01:06 AM

The SBV article seems to clearly lay out the problem I am grappling with. But I can't seem to highlight text to quote any of it to discus here. It seems to both be saying "We are still setting the boundaries at the same sorts of standard deviations
    Jump to new posts Re: Levels of Giftednes by MumOfThree @ 02/16/20 12:47 AM

Thanks AEH, I had not seen that one regarding the SB5. I will take some time to digest it. With the second I had to stop myself from skimming and go through a second time, it reads like one I have read before, which did not seem to have been updated
    Jump to new posts Re: Levels of Giftednes by aeh @ 02/15/20 08:29 PM

So this is Deborah Ruf's article on the SB5's extended norms, written under the auspices of the publisher. SB5 ASB3 This is Linda Silverman's definitions of LOG. She collected data for, and helped to develop, the WISC-IV and -V extended norms: GDC
    General Discussion
    Jump to new posts Verbal Stregth vs Math/Spatial by MumOfThree @ 02/15/20 08:17 PM

Are there any other parents of kids with a pronounced spike in Verbal strength over Math. It seems like most of the literature around HG->PG kids covers children who are either not 2E and are fairly evenly gifted, or, if they have a significant spike
    Jump to new posts Levels of Giftednes by MumOfThree @ 02/15/20 08:00 PM

Is anyone aware of an up to date statement or table, from a reasonably reputable source, to define levels of giftedness on current IQ tests (ie the WISC-V, with or without extended norms). So much of the literature about highly, exceptionally or pro
    Jump to new posts Re: how is FSIQ calculated by aeh @ 02/14/20 02:17 PM

Same as which specific question from above?
    Jump to new posts Re: how is FSIQ calculated by Putnam01 @ 02/14/20 02:08 PM

Hello I have the same question
    Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
    Recent Posts
    Verbal Stregth vs Math/Spatial
    by MumOfThree
    04:56 PM
    Teacher certified in gifted ?
    by Old Dad
    02:10 PM
    Testing in East Coast and your views on GDC CO
    by aeh
    11:56 AM