Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links
DITD Logo

Learn about the Davidson Academy’s online high school for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute for Talent Development is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Davidson Fellows Scholarship
  • Davidson Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    5 registered (aeh, ElizabethN, OCJD, Dude, thx1138), 0 Guests and 159 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    kl228162, SET, Lisa2, Ps0705, serenabingle@yah
    10194 Registered Users
    April
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    8 9 10 11 12 13 14
    15 16 17 18 19 20 21
    22 23 24 25 26 27 28
    29 30
    Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
    Forum   Subject
    Twice Exceptional
    Welcome! In addition to Platypus's wise advice, I will suggest another category of reading difficulty. It may be that your DC has sufficient phonological processing to decode (hence the strong scores in phonetic decoding and word calling), but lack
    General Discussion
    Jump to new posts Re: Against the bachelor's degree by SarahMarie @ Today at 07:53 AM

My point is that if your goal is to reduce healthcare costs, simply doing away with the bachelors degree requirements for MDs will not have a meaningful impact. My husband made it through 4 years of undergrad with zero debt, but we have a wagon load
    Twice Exceptional
    Jump to new posts Re: ADHD meds and genetic testing by aeh @ Today at 07:41 AM

First off, we have not done this. But I do have some thoughts: What were the contraindications for stimulants? Were they expected to have low therapeutic effectiveness, or to have serious side effects? There's a big difference between those two r
    Twice Exceptional
    Jump to new posts ADHD meds and genetic testing by melissan @ Today at 06:05 AM

Does anyone have any experience with genetic testing for ADHD meds, and/or have any opinions on its reliability? My DS12 has ADHD Inattentive Type. To try and avoid medication trial and error, we had gene testing done early last year. Results showed
    General Discussion
    Jump to new posts Re: Strong OEs in moderately gifted child by melissan @ Today at 05:44 AM

SoCali, OT has been mentioned to me by a friend whose child required it to help with some impulse control (which we could also use) and sensory issues, and it is not off the table as an option. When my son did his testing, the psychologist did say t
    General Discussion
    Jump to new posts Re: Strong OEs in moderately gifted child by melissan @ Today at 05:24 AM

JCKDW, thank you for sharing. It's good to hear from others with similar experience. And now that I think about it, I know a family with at least three gifted children, and the most gifted of them is also their most chill. I agree with you that we sh
    College
    Jump to new posts Re: Harvard drops credit for AP and IB exams by cricket3 @ Today at 04:23 AM

Originally Posted By: aehI have absolutely zero personal experience with APUSH, but one of the faculty in our school has written items for the test, and I will say this individual runs a pretty rigorous AP class. We also happen to have two history f
    Twice Exceptional
    Jump to new posts Re: Thoughts on "Relative Weakness, Not 2e" Diagnosis? by Platypus101 @ Today at 04:22 AM

I think your thread may have gotten lost in the "new poster hold", so I will get the ball rolling here. I start by saying your real-life observations are all common things to see with dyslexia, and had me (with a dyslexic DD) nodding familiarly al
    General Discussion
    Jump to new posts Re: Against the bachelor's degree by Tigerle @ Yesterday at 10:46 PM

Another point of evidence: I understand that med schools simply do not care about those parts of their applicants education at all, basing admittance on a recalculated GPA excluding non STEM subjects and on MCAT results. So, 2 years worth of classe
    General Discussion
    Jump to new posts Re: Against the bachelor's degree by Tigerle @ Yesterday at 10:39 PM

With the differences in health systems around the world, I doubt that you could make a meaningful regression analysis about whether the two years‘ worth of classes required by gen Ed’s or distribution requirements or core classes or non-STEM majors t
    College
    Jump to new posts Re: Harvard drops credit for AP and IB exams by aeh @ Yesterday at 07:00 PM

I have absolutely zero personal experience with APUSH, but one of the faculty in our school has written items for the test, and I will say this individual runs a pretty rigorous AP class. We also happen to have two history faculty with content area
    College
    Jump to new posts Re: Harvard drops credit for AP and IB exams by ElizabethN @ Yesterday at 03:55 PM

Originally Posted By: ValI'm going to posit that this is a more-often-than-not thing, and that it's a big problem. Historians synthesize data, draw conclusions, and write about it. In that sense, history is similar to an observational science. Obviou
    College
    Jump to new posts Re: Harvard drops credit for AP and IB exams by cricket3 @ Yesterday at 01:56 PM

Originally Posted By: ValI want to make one thing very clear: I'm talking about places like Harvard, not about a community college or a local state U. CCs and state universities should definitely accept AP credits. Harvard is supposed to be an elite
    College
    Jump to new posts Re: Harvard drops credit for AP and IB exams by Val @ Yesterday at 01:07 PM

I want to make one thing very clear: I'm talking about places like Harvard, not about a community college or a local state U. CCs and state universities should definitely accept AP credits. Harvard is supposed to be an elite college with very high s
    High School
    Jump to new posts Re: Associates Degree worth acquiring? Downsides? by Quantum2003 @ Yesterday at 12:23 PM

The problem is that as freshmen, their plans and preferences are likely to undergo many changes. Choice of undergrad will be significantly impacted by intentions regarding a terminal degree. One of the issue is that they are expected to reach 60 cr
    High School
    Jump to new posts Re: Associates Degree worth acquiring? Downsides? by Quantum2003 @ Yesterday at 12:19 PM

Yeah, those are all the advantages that we are contemplating. One concern is whether they CAN matriculate as freshmen if it is otherwise more desirable to do so, such as scholarship eligibility and admissions. I suppose that question might have diff
    College
    Jump to new posts Re: Harvard drops credit for AP and IB exams by aquinas @ Yesterday at 12:10 PM

Originally Posted By: PortiaHmmm... aren't credit and placement two different topics? Yes, but they can converge.
    College
    Jump to new posts Re: Harvard drops credit for AP and IB exams by aquinas @ Yesterday at 12:09 PM

Originally Posted By: ValOriginally Posted By: aquinasIEven in a situation where AP/IB credits are a poor approximation for freshman classes, the end product of a degree program at an elite university is a student who can produce high caliber fourth
    College
    Jump to new posts Re: Harvard drops credit for AP and IB exams by Portia @ Yesterday at 12:08 PM

Hmmm... aren't credit and placement two different topics? I transferred to a tougher school when I was in college. Not all of my credits transferred (much to my surprise). However, I did not have to retake classes because I "placed" out, but not c
    College
    Jump to new posts Re: Harvard drops credit for AP and IB exams by Quantum2003 @ Yesterday at 12:05 PM

Color me cynical as well - it's all about the money! For the record, I am vehemently against eliminating college credit for AP. Of course, if I am trying to support their point of view, here are my observations: Too many lower ability/achievement
    Parenting and Advocacy
    Jump to new posts Re: Accelerated math in second grade? by Portia @ Yesterday at 12:02 PM

https://beastacademy.com/
    College
    Jump to new posts Re: Harvard drops credit for AP and IB exams by aquinas @ Yesterday at 12:01 PM

Originally Posted By: ValAP humanities and social sciences classes fit right into that category, in that they aren't focused on teaching students how to analyze information at a honest college level. Instead, they focus on "learning the material" and
    General Discussion
    Jump to new posts Re: DYS question by Portia @ Yesterday at 12:01 PM

Try it and see what happens. If they want more information, they can ask for it. If narrative is not available, you can ask DYS about portfolio items.
    Identification, Testing & Assessment
    Jump to new posts Re: Grade Skip - Meeting with the team by ss62 @ Yesterday at 12:01 PM

We had the meeting yesterday with the guidance team. It was planned for 45 minutes and ended up going on for an hour, which still was not enough. The gifted programs people are clearly hesitant to go with the acceleration. They had a lot of 'what if'
    Parenting and Advocacy
    Jump to new posts Re: Accelerated math in second grade? by Andreap @ Yesterday at 11:59 AM

What's Beast Academy ? sounds interesting ...
    Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
    Recent Posts
    Thoughts on "Relative Weakness, Not 2e" Diagnosis?
    by aeh
    Today at 08:04 AM
    Against the bachelor's degree
    by SarahMarie
    Today at 07:53 AM
    ADHD meds and genetic testing
    by aeh
    Today at 07:41 AM
    Strong OEs in moderately gifted child
    by melissan
    Today at 05:44 AM
    Harvard drops credit for AP and IB exams