Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links
DITD Logo

Learn about the Davidson Academyís online high school for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute for Talent Development is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Davidson Fellows Scholarship
  • Davidson Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy of Nevada
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    1 registered (Kai), 0 Guests and 221 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    lafay, Kai93, echofuzz, Meredith, rkozy
    10016 Registered Users
    November
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30
    Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
    Forum   Subject
    Twice Exceptional
    Jump to new posts Re: When OG doesn't work by aeh @ Today at 01:00 PM

Working with secondary-school students in a system where I have a pretty good idea of the quality of OG instruction in the feeder schools, I can usually make a decent determination of whether there is any additional benefit to be obtained from OG by
    Twice Exceptional
    Jump to new posts Re: When OG doesn't work by polarbear @ Today at 12:21 PM

Originally Posted By: geofizz Thanks for the info on the AP accommodations. I wasn't aware of the scribe accommodation. Any idea of what it takes to qualify for that beyond typing responses? Sorry I can't help with the OG etc, but just wanted to
    Identification, Testing & Assessment
    Jump to new posts Re: How will my son manage on the COGAT? by polarbear @ Today at 12:15 PM

Welcome to the forums, Hag. I'm a parent of a teen who has dyspraxia and dysgraphia, discovered when he was in early elementary. I'm not a professional, so take my advice only as that of a parent What were the neuropsych's conclusions re the discre
    Jump to new posts Re: How will my son manage on the COGAT? by Hag @ Today at 11:07 AM

I should add, regarding games, we have a game called Balance Beans which he's enjoyed in the past and may explain his high score on the Figure Weights section. I have not bought games specifically to prep him for one test or another but more in an ef
    Jump to new posts Re: How will my son manage on the COGAT? by Hag @ Today at 11:04 AM

Since his long-ago WPPSI, we have played games to work on improving processing speed and working memory - obviously it was more effective for the latter! He did obtain a dysgraphia diagnosis and will be tested for dyslexia soon - he still reverses so
    Jump to new posts Re: How will my son manage on the COGAT? by aeh @ Today at 10:29 AM

Welcome back! First off, I definitely do not recommend prepping children for the CogAT, or any other aptitude or cognitive assessment. Secondly, his existing test scores do not suggest that visual-spatial abilities are truly an area of deficit. He
    Pre-school
    Jump to new posts Re: Boredom = class clown --- solution??? by Saritz @ Today at 09:32 AM

Hi SarahMarie, I'm in Houston, originally from Indiana, so I can relate to your move. We had the same problem with DS12 when he was in preschool. I tried to get them to do something else with him during the naptime, but they refused. We're Cathol
    Pre-school
    Jump to new posts Re: Boredom = class clown --- solution??? by SarahMarie @ Today at 08:54 AM

Lazymum, you are describing exactly what I'm feeling/thinking. I am leaning towards this as a solution. I'm frustrated that we will lose out on 10 hours per week of childcare, but worth it if it can improve DS's experience of school. There is a famil
    Jump to new posts How will my son manage on the COGAT? by Hag @ Today at 08:46 AM

He recently took the KBIT for concerns regarding possible dyslexia (I think it's actually another visual issue but we'll see) - it's a required test before they will screen for dyslexia. His overall IQ per the screening was 139, with nonverbal 141 an
    Pre-school
    Jump to new posts Re: Boredom = class clown --- solution??? by Eskes @ Today at 06:15 AM

Two of my boys had issues during nap time when they were in preschool. The school ended up removing DS9 from the classroom all together during nap time and that resolved the issue. When my DS6 was in preschool I was able to pick him up early when I
    Twice Exceptional
    Jump to new posts Re: When OG doesn't work by geofizz @ Today at 04:31 AM

Thanks aeh. Thanks for the info on the AP accommodations. I wasn't aware of the scribe accommodation. Any idea of what it takes to qualify for that beyond typing responses? DS already uses a thesaurus to find the word he wants when he's way off
    Pre-school
    Jump to new posts Re: Boredom = class clown --- solution??? by LazyMum @ Today at 04:29 AM

Can you trial bringing him home early and skipping nap time? I spent DD's first year at infants school picking her up at lunch, taking her home for lunch and play, and then returning her to school for the afternoon session, just so she would avoid th
    Parenting and Advocacy
    Jump to new posts Re: Help - Need Advice by Aloha @ Yesterday at 10:54 PM

AEH, Thank you so much for the response! It is great to hear from someone who does the testing. You bring up some excellent points that give me a lot to think about! Now I have to figure out how to pose the question on if there is variability based
    Twice Exceptional
    Jump to new posts Re: When OG doesn't work by aeh @ Yesterday at 12:55 PM

That's a challenge. I have met a handful of students over the past couple of decades who were truly intractable dyslexics, even with high-quality OG. AP exams can be tricky, as the College Board basically gets to make their own rules, however, espe
    Twice Exceptional
    Jump to new posts neuropsych testing for suspected ADD? by LAF @ Yesterday at 11:50 AM

If you had a HG child who was diagnosed ADD, did you also get a neuropsych evaluation prior? Or was just treating the ADD enough? I've had a psychiatrist and a psychologist who specifically works with TS and ADD tell me she likely has ADD- but she do
    Pre-school
    Jump to new posts Re: Boredom = class clown --- solution??? by SarahMarie @ Yesterday at 11:13 AM

Platypus, thank you for mentioning that it better to reframe boredom in a more positive light. That's seems obvious now, but hadn't occurred to me. The teacher is very sweet and from what I can tell very good with the class, so I don't want her to fe
    Twice Exceptional
    Jump to new posts When OG doesn't work by geofizz @ Yesterday at 07:11 AM

DS11 has now completed 3 years of OG as part of his IEP. His OG teachers are well trained and generally considered some of the best in the state for the quality of their work. DS is engaged in the OG sessions, and everyone reports he works hard with
    Pre-school
    Jump to new posts Re: Boredom = class clown --- solution??? by Platypus101 @ Yesterday at 05:47 AM

One approach that sometimes help is to flip the situation in the teacher's head. Instead of *you* trying to make her do extra work, work on re-framing it as *her* making her own life easier. If she gives him different material that engages him, *sh
    Pre-school
    Jump to new posts Re: Boredom = class clown --- solution??? by howdy @ Yesterday at 05:39 AM

I agree that half day could be better. Usually no naps, and you get the socialization in without as much opportunity to get bored. (I also think half day for Kindergarten might be better for a lot of gifted kids.) It sounds like this school is rig
    High School
    Jump to new posts Re: AP Chemistry pre-req options by madeinuk @ Yesterday at 04:46 AM

I suggest that you look at some of the classes offered by the CTY intensive studies program, too. Not only will your child study at the pace more suited to them but they will also be able to experience total immersion into the nerd/geek culture. A
    High School
    Jump to new posts Re: Any of your AP Sciences more than one period? by cricket3 @ Yesterday at 04:43 AM

We have a late bus run, so thatís not an issue, it just takes a looong time (fewer buses, so the trips are longer). But itís yet another demand on kidsí time. I now understand why so many parents here find a way to let their kids drive to school
    Recommended Resources
    Jump to new posts Re: Nurturing Math by Quantum2003 @ 11/15/17 09:36 PM

ZIML and Perennial Math both have elementary level competitions that can be done online.
    Jump to new posts Re: AMC 8 by Quantum2003 @ 11/15/17 09:16 PM

My DD started taking AMC 8 in 4th grade, mostly because her brother was taking it. I seem to recall that scores at the lower end can be unstable because she scored a 10 that first year despite getting 6-8 on a couple of old practice tests. It may al
    High School
    Jump to new posts Re: Any of your AP Sciences more than one period? by Quantum2003 @ 11/15/17 09:04 PM

Extra time for labs can make sense as that is how it was in college but it would be too difficult to schedule them within our school day.
    High School
    Jump to new posts Re: Any of your AP Sciences more than one period? by Quantum2003 @ 11/15/17 09:00 PM

I need to look up AP Chem on the College Board website - in my day it was one AP Chem test.
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
    Recent Posts
    When OG doesn't work
    by aeh
    01:00 PM
    How will my son manage on the COGAT?
    by Hag
    11:04 AM
    Boredom = class clown --- solution???
    by Saritz
    09:32 AM
    Help - Need Advice