Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links
DITD Logo

Learn about the Davidson Academy’s online campus for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute for Talent Development is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Davidson Fellows Scholarship
  • Davidson Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    0 registered (), 0 Guests and 227 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    MPerez, mauricezaiss, nialcoxworth, BethSmi, hi_coco
    10788 Registered Users
    July
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
    Forum   Subject
    Learning Environments
    Jump to new posts Re: Online school options during COVID by Appleton @ Yesterday at 02:07 PM

Stanford online looks interesting, but it's too late to apply for the coming school year.
    Learning Environments
    Jump to new posts Re: Online school options during COVID by Pemberley @ Yesterday at 12:27 PM

My DD is thrilled with Fusion Academy - a chain of 50 or so campuses that offer 1-1 classes. This format is great for gifted/2e kids because the classes move at their pace, are taught in the way that works best for them and with appropriate levels of
    Learning Environments
    Jump to new posts Re: Online school options during COVID by Wren @ Yesterday at 03:57 AM

DD is entering 11th. She had 2 AP classes this past year and has 6 this coming year. 2 Eco, Spanish, the English is also AP, didn't know (both choices are AP -- she has to take the other one next year for 4 English credits for graduation). CS and
    Recommended Resources
    Jump to new posts Re: Physics in elementary by Eagle Mum @ Yesterday at 03:16 AM

I second AEH’s recommendation of MIT Open Courseware. I was very impressed when I looked at some of their material years ago and recommended them to my DS when he was about the same age as your’s. The thirst for understanding science at a deeper leve
    Learning Environments
    Jump to new posts Re: Online school options during COVID by Appleton @ 07/10/20 09:42 PM

So I shouldn't have a hard time getting my son back into pre AP/AP classes if we go this route? Connections academy is one of the ones I'm looking at, as well as UT High School. A lot of it is just going to depend on how limited the course offerings
    Recommended Resources
    Jump to new posts Re: Physics in elementary by aeh @ 07/10/20 08:29 PM

Has he ever spent any time playing with the physics (and other) simulations at phet? He might enjoy the interactive, conceptual nature of these. https://phet.colorado.edu/en/simulations/filter?subjects=physics&sort=alpha&view=grid He might also get
    Parenting and Advocacy
    Cookie, I tidied up a bit in my pms. Feel free to try again!
    Learning Environments
    Jump to new posts Re: Online school options during COVID by aeh @ 07/10/20 08:14 PM

I haven't used any online options for my own kids (other than online college/dual enrollment courses, which would be a different conversation), but my experience with students transitioning into our secondary school after a year or more of using Conn
    Learning Environments
    Jump to new posts Online school options during COVID by Appleton @ 07/10/20 03:26 PM

What are the best online school options for gifted kids? I'm considering switching to online for my 9th grader for a year in light of COVID. Our school in Texas is planning to offer online education but I want to investigate all options, especially s
    Pre-school
    Welcome! FWIW, there are quite a few posters in this community who also have children with food allergies (I have one of those). By and large, I have found this community to be friendly and accepting on both FA and GT scores (and, well, generally!).
    Learning Environments
    Jump to new posts Re: Taking a Gap Year or Dropping Out? by Wren @ 07/10/20 09:42 AM

Originally Posted By: pinewood1On finding a therapist: unfortunately, I haven't had a lot of luck with this. Most therapists aren't very good, and the more statistically unusual you are (and the more ways you are statistically unusual), the less like
    Pre-school
    I agree with the advice you mentioned receiving which encouraged signing her up and being willing to forego/lose any fees you have committed to, if at a future date you determine it is unsafe for your child to attend (at that time, due to COVID-19).
    Learning Environments
    Jump to new posts Re: Taking a Gap Year or Dropping Out? by pinewood1 @ 07/10/20 08:55 AM

I have a lot more thoughts on this, which will probably not be that well organized. On finding a therapist: unfortunately, I haven't had a lot of luck with this. Most therapists aren't very good, and the more statistically unusual you are (and the m
    General Discussion
    Jump to new posts Re: How bad is the social aspect of grade skipping? by MumOfThree @ 07/10/20 01:36 AM

I can't offer much more than AEH's exceptional advice. Other than wanting to point out that not accelerating is not a neutral choice. Your child is so gifted that the teacher and principal have approached YOU, this is not a common scenario, you need
    Learning Environments
    Jump to new posts Re: Taking a Gap Year or Dropping Out? by MumOfThree @ 07/10/20 01:04 AM

Originally Posted By: WrenAt your age I had a great doctor who told me that I needed a therapist who was at least smart enough that I couldn't lie to. Someone very dear to me said to me, many years ago, that he believed any therapist must be eithe
    General Discussion
    Jump to new posts Re: How bad is the social aspect of grade skipping? by Eagle Mum @ 07/09/20 08:09 PM

Our experience has been of an alternative route. My son is the most academically advanced of my three children. Unlike his sisters, however, he was not socially ready for early kindergarten entry (though like your DS, he is amongst the younger studen
    General Discussion
    You've received an EXCELLENT response from aeh... who consistently provides GREAT insight. Here is the link to a round-up of discussion threads on acceleration PROs and CONs... crowd-sourced, over time, on these forums: http://giftedissues.davids
    General Discussion
    Sorry we didn't see this earlier... In your prior thread, indigo gave you an excellent curated list of information on acceleration. If you haven't yet done so, I would encourage you to familiarize yourself with the research on grade acceleration, ke
    Learning Environments
    Jump to new posts Re: Taking a Gap Year or Dropping Out? by indigo @ 07/09/20 05:55 PM

Originally Posted By: AnisotropicCollege admissions turned out to be a disaster... I applied to a total of nine universities: Brown, Caltech, Harvey Mudd, NYU, UChicago, UW, MIT, UCLA, and UC Berkeley. I was accepted to only three: UW, NYU, and UCL
    Pre-school
    Jump to new posts People Not Getting "It"; pre school and COVID by HannahBanana @ 07/09/20 05:50 PM

Oh boy. So my baby girl has a few food allergies. She had started a daycare right before the COVID pandemic and they [the school] approached me about bumping her up into a "transitional" room in December. She would be 21 months old then.
    Learning Environments
    Jump to new posts Re: Taking a Gap Year or Dropping Out? by Eagle Mum @ 07/09/20 05:48 PM

It is a discouraging reality that education and the workforce are often highly competitive environments and uneven ‘playing fields’, where some will have advantages through contacts, socioeconomic advantage or simply being in the right place at the r
    Learning Environments
    Jump to new posts Re: Taking a Gap Year or Dropping Out? by aeh @ 07/09/20 05:25 PM

If I have never said it to you before, pinewood, I have to tell you now how extraordinarily impressed I am by how you have transformed the very challenging hand you were dealt early in life into strength and compassion as an adult, fully worthy of yo
    Learning Environments
    Jump to new posts Re: Taking a Gap Year or Dropping Out? by pinewood1 @ 07/09/20 04:54 PM

Hi Anisotropic. I think you've been sold a narrative that may have been somewhat true in your parents' or grandparents' day, but it isn't true now and hasn't been at least since I was applying to colleges. No one is guaranteed a spot at a big-name
    Learning Environments
    Jump to new posts Re: Taking a Gap Year or Dropping Out? by Wren @ 07/09/20 01:21 PM

At your age I had a great doctor who told me that I needed a therapist who was at least smart enough that I couldn't lie to. I think you need the same thing. Not that I think you are consciously lying. Your brain is very good at managing the excuse
    Learning Environments
    Jump to new posts Re: Taking a Gap Year or Dropping Out? by aeh @ 07/09/20 07:37 AM

Anisotropic, I took the liberty of exploring the UCLA website a bit, and I think it would make a lot of sense for you to contact their first-year offices (call in for a conversation with a real person, not just their email contact form) and have a co
    Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
    Recent Posts
    Online school options during COVID
    by Appleton
    Today at 02:07 PM
    Physics in elementary
    by Eagle Mum
    Today at 03:16 AM
    one proposed instructional response to covid
    by aeh
    Yesterday at 08:15 PM
    People Not Getting "It"; pre school and COVID