Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links
DITD Logo

Learn about the Davidson Academy’s online campus for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute for Talent Development is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Davidson Fellows Scholarship
  • Davidson Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    0 registered (), 0 Guests and 233 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    igift, Dagh, agbiggs, islandgirl, court
    10599 Registered Users
    September
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    8 9 10 11 12 13 14
    15 16 17 18 19 20 21
    22 23 24 25 26 27 28
    29 30
    Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
    Forum   Subject
    Twice Exceptional
    Jump to new posts Trouble persisting at tasks: ADHD or ...? by SLO @ Today at 03:22 PM

Our very social and fun- and action-loving child has always had trouble maintaining focus during longer work sessions at school and during extended periods of directions/instruction before a task/project begins. Here we are at the start of 4th grad
    General Discussion
    Jump to new posts Re: Ivy League Admissions. by Wren @ Today at 04:22 AM

I think that was the point of the lawsuit. You get less whites, but more Asians. You have a greater population of Asians, taking into all the ones applying from Asia. So you should get a higher population of Asian applying with high scores. But i
    THINKING BIG About Gifted Education
    Jump to new posts Re: Learning in the Fast Lane (Advanced Placement) by ashley @ Yesterday at 04:39 PM

Originally Posted By: NotSoGiftedWhile AP classes aren't necessarily college level (depends upon your definition of college level, however), in many places, they are the best option for a bright HS kid. Community colleges are good in some areas of t
    Jump to new posts Re: Learning in the Fast Lane (Advanced Placement) by mecreature @ Yesterday at 02:03 PM

Nice Post cricket3. That sounds real close to our experience. My son a junior is taking AP stats this year and really misses his AP Calc BC class and teacher from last year. He is also taking AP Chem, English Lit, Spanish, Stats and Eur History.
    General Discussion
    Jump to new posts Re: Ivy League Admissions. by Bostonian @ Yesterday at 11:13 AM

How Harvard makes admissions decisions by Tyler Cowen September 19, 2019 Marginal Revolution blog Here are some new and very thorough results from Peter Arcidiacono, Josh Kinsler, and the excellent Tyler Ransom: Quote:The lawsuit Students For Fair
    Jump to new posts Re: Learning in the Fast Lane (Advanced Placement) by cricket3 @ Yesterday at 10:45 AM

I totally agree with notsogifted. CC classes here are definitely not at the AP level, at least from what I’ve heard, and many of the DE classes offered at our hs, through a couple different 4-year universities, both public and private, are considere
    Jump to new posts Re: Learning in the Fast Lane (Advanced Placement) by NotSoGifted @ Yesterday at 09:59 AM

While AP classes aren't necessarily college level (depends upon your definition of college level, however), in many places, they are the best option for a bright HS kid. Community colleges are good in some areas of the country, but not where I live.
    Jump to new posts Re: Learning in the Fast Lane (Advanced Placement) by Bostonian @ Yesterday at 07:07 AM

Here is an example of the usefulness of AP. My son took calculus at the Russian School of Math, earned a 5 on the AP Calculus BC exam, and as a senior is taking online schools-sponsored classes using Math XL in linear algebra and differential equatio
    Jump to new posts Re: Learning in the Fast Lane (Advanced Placement) by madeinuk @ Yesterday at 02:48 AM

Food for thought there Val and Aeh. We have blindly followed the HS's progression into AP classes not for college credit per se but because these appear to offer the most challenge for our DD. Currently, our 10th grader is taking Chemistry, Biolo
    Good points, aeh. I've seen a whole lot of positive aspects of DE, both for my kids and others. I took a physics class last year, and there was a DE student in the class. She was accepted to one of the UCs to study physics, and I suspect she got nea
    Learning Environments
    Originally Posted By: tillamookPerhaps that's not as important as getting him healthy and happy again. Just want to affirm that this is the most important measure of your decisions about his situation. You are a good parent.
    I'm with you on this one, Val. You wouldn't think it would come up in exactly that way for us, as we've homeschooled, but a surprising number of homeschoolers in our area seek out homeschool co-op AP courses, which has always puzzled me, since dual
    Learning Environments
    Jump to new posts Re: School refusal - going with online school by tillamook @ 09/19/19 03:02 PM

Hi Wren, Thanks for your comments. Yes, each kid is different. It sounds like your daughter is actually doing quite well - active, social to a fairly large extent and pretty disciplined. Girls can be so mean. I have sons but I remember it well.
    Recommended Resources
    Jump to new posts Contest calendar by Bostonian @ 09/19/19 01:18 PM

Registration deadlines for the following contests are listed in the Fall 2019 issue of the Study of Exceptional Talent Precollege Newsletter Oct 08 Harvard MIT Math Tournament Oct 10 Quill and Scroll Yearbook Excellence Contest Oct 11 Young Arts
    I have three kids. One is a grade-skipped 11th grader taking AP Calc at our local high school. The other two opted for the local dual enrollment program at the community college, where the eldest got a free AS in math when he graduated from high scho
    Regions
    Jump to new posts Denver area 2e support by knute974 @ 09/19/19 12:33 PM

A friend just forwarded this to me. If anyone is interested, GDC is hosting a 2e support group this Saturday. I understand that they would like it to be an ongoing event. If you miss this one, I would contact them about future meetings. More info
    General Discussion
    Jump to new posts Re: NYC public schools by Wren @ 09/18/19 06:08 PM

thanks for the link. Read it. Reminded me of my early days of applying to preschool in NYC. And Dd ended up a one of those private public. We did raise 1MM per annum to pay for teachers, computer lab etc. But very sad about the current syste
    General Discussion
    Jump to new posts NYC public schools by Bostonian @ 09/18/19 07:07 AM

Here is a long article about a parent's experiences with the NYC public schools. The initiative "to get rid of competitive admissions for middle school—grades, tests, attendance, behavior" is discussed. When the Culture War Comes for the Kids by Geo
    Jump to new posts Learning in the Fast Lane (Advanced Placement) by Bostonian @ 09/18/19 05:32 AM

Not All Gifted Children Are From Affluent Families To help the poor rise, the education system needs to ‘raise the ceiling’ as well as ‘lift the floor.’ By Jason L. Riley Wall Street Journal Sept. 17, 2019 6:41 pm ET All of us understand why so many
    Recommended Resources
    Happy U.S. Constitution Day! This is the last day to enter the annual competition hosted by Constituting America. On this day in history (September 17, 1787)... eleven years after the Declaration of Independence, the US Constitution was signed... c
    Parenting and Advocacy
    It can be difficult when you have a bright kid whose brain is permanently in overclock mode. Anxiety over things that others do not bat an eye over is a condition that our DD (now 14) has oft been prone to. We have restarted CBT again to see if she
    Learning Environments
    Jump to new posts Re: School refusal - going with online school by Wren @ 09/17/19 03:44 AM

Originally Posted By: tillamook I think the social part of it is very taxing for him. It distracts him from learning and wears him out. DD is in 10th grade. The social stuff can totally distract her. She has gone from a 5 on one math test t
    Learning Environments
    Jump to new posts Re: School refusal - going with online school by tillamook @ 09/16/19 03:21 PM

Thank you (everyone) for your comments and advice. We have spent many years discussing the need for balance and social activities so I feel I can't get any deeper into that. I think the social part of it is very taxing for him. It distracts him
    Parenting and Advocacy
    Just relax. Of course don't block access to educational stuff if she likes it but don't push it. Provide opportunities for outdoor play and exploration, music and singing, playing with other kids etc.
    Parenting and Advocacy
    Originally Posted By: spaghettiLots of kids will rebel at being a specimen. Well said!
    Recent Posts
    Trouble persisting at tasks: ADHD or ...?
    by SLO
    Today at 03:22 PM
    Ivy League Admissions.
    by Wren
    Today at 04:22 AM
    Learning in the Fast Lane (Advanced Placement)
    by ashley
    Yesterday at 04:39 PM
    School refusal - going with online school
    by aeh
    09/19/19 06:06 PM
    Contest calendar
    by Bostonian
    09/19/19 01:18 PM
    Davidson Institute Twitter