Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links
DITD Logo

Learn about the Davidson Academy’s online high school for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute for Talent Development is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Davidson Fellows Scholarship
  • Davidson Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy of Nevada
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    0 registered (), 0 Guests and 84 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    k_kay, HeatherC, Tracy124, lyns, jckdw
    9960 Registered Users
    September
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
    Forum   Subject
    Twice Exceptional
    Jump to new posts Trevor Tebbs by Pemberley @ Today at 12:19 AM

I am wondering if anyone has information or experience with Trevor Tebbs. I have been referred for a "Chandelier" evaluation for my highly complex 2e DD. His holistic approach to understanding gifted kids certainly sounds interesting but I would lo
    Recommended Resources
    Jump to new posts Re: After-schooling plan for motivated math kid? by Portia @ 09/23/17 05:30 PM

Other resources: Significant Figures - Ian Stewart Art of Problem Solving has a MIT Primes/Crowdsourcing math problem which might be a good challenge and interesting. Look under "Resources". We also love the Great Courses. There are several excel
    College
    Jump to new posts Re: Engineering colleges by mithawk @ 09/23/17 10:34 AM

For the vast majority of engineering jobs, including well known companies like Google, Apple, etc., it matters little where you get your degree. And for one of these entry-level jobs, the engineer from CalTech and San Jose State could be working sid
    Identification, Testing & Assessment
    Jump to new posts Re: Testing outside the Western world by indigo @ 09/23/17 09:08 AM

Originally Posted By: greenlotus Very little to nothing known about giftedness here. Thoughts? Thoughts... 1) For educators and for the professional testing organization, you may wish to share a link to the free Davidson Educator's Guild. This is
    Jump to new posts Testing outside the Western world by greenlotus @ 09/22/17 11:55 PM

I am working with a tiny 4 year old boy who is really struggling with behavior issues at school (running, biting, pulling hair, etc). This is never done maliciously - he seems unable to control himself. We are in a country where getting an assessment
    Learning Environments
    Jump to new posts Re: How is the new school year going so far? by greenlotus @ 09/22/17 11:41 PM

We are having an interesting time. We have moved to another country, but DD12 and DD13, both in 8th, are attending an American international school. We have been told it's a tougher curriculum but so far both are achieving A's with no problems. We s
    Recommended Resources
    Jump to new posts Re: After-schooling plan for motivated math kid? by Portia @ 09/22/17 07:09 PM

I am sorry, I am really short on time. But here are a few resources to get you started. I will post more later... You will want to plug him in with others like him. Here is a great way to meet a lot of children his age with others that love math
    Recommended Resources
    Jump to new posts Re: After-schooling plan for motivated math kid? by ChaosMitten @ 09/22/17 04:55 PM

Check out this thread: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/...e-hating-child/
    Recommended Resources
    Jump to new posts Re: After-schooling plan for motivated math kid? by BenjaminL @ 09/22/17 04:49 PM

AoPS's style doesn't seem to match everyone's taste. Two other often mentioned alternatives floating around are: * Elements of Mathematics https://www.elementsofmathematics.com/ * eimacs: https://www.eimacs.com A few other things stuck out at me:
    Recommended Resources
    Welcome! First off, I think there may be some diversity of opinion regarding what "otherwise normal" means. =) Re your actual question: Many of us have afterschooled to meet needs not touched by the schools. You've already tried AOPS, which is a
    Regions
    Jump to new posts Re: Need feedback on Portland public schools by kchow1 @ 09/22/17 02:07 PM

Also there's a neighborhood north of Lake Oswego, in Portland, that has very highly rated schools. But I think if you can afford a house there, you can afford to go to Catlin Gabel.
    Regions
    Jump to new posts Re: Need feedback on Portland public schools by kchow1 @ 09/22/17 02:04 PM

I looked a lot at all the Portland and area schools before my son started kindergarden. We ended up moving to West Linn, and go to Willamette Primary School which we've been pretty happy with so far. They have reading groups at their own levels, but
    College
    Jump to new posts Re: Engineering colleges by aquinas @ 09/21/17 11:30 AM

Employers aren't hiring for what you've done, but for what they believe you can do. Sure, some "exclusive" firms only hire from Harvard, Yale, or Stanford, but the student has to ask himself/herself what the relative lifetime value associated with th
    College
    Jump to new posts Re: Engineering colleges by Val @ 09/21/17 10:47 AM

I tend to agree with Dude (nice to see you again, BTW). Another thing about rankings is that the rank depends on the priorities of the rankers. Everyone will have a different idea there. For example, one person may decide that a small undergradua
    College
    Jump to new posts Re: Engineering colleges by Dude @ 09/21/17 09:29 AM

But when I say "education matters," that doesn't mean that a top-10 engineering school matters. We want to know that they have studied, what they've studied, and how those studies apply to what we're selecting them to do. Where they studied is, aga
    Jump to new posts Re: Stanford Achievement Test for gifted ID? by OhioIssues @ 09/21/17 07:33 AM

The actual score required is 128. So it's 2 standard deviations (16) above the mean (100) minus the SEM (4).
    Learning Environments
    DD6 is perfectly thrilled with her first grade class. The teacher is super excited that she's advanced and looking for ways to challenge her. So far the "challenges" are still too easy for her but it's at that sweet spot where it's not so easy that D
    Regions
    A while back we were contemplating a move to Vancouver, WA. Here is the highly capable (WA term for gifted) link for that school district: http://vansd.org/highly-capable-services/
    Jump to new posts Re: Language considerations for IQ testing by Tigerle @ 09/21/17 02:04 AM

I have edited my answer following your lead. Please let me know if there is anything else you'd like removed.
    Jump to new posts Re: Language considerations for IQ testing by DianaG @ 09/20/17 06:00 PM

Thanks, Tigerle, for the reminder to get everything arranged in advance with the school. Waiting for the school year to settle in, and then we'll start making plans. It's a hassle, but you're right, with the luxury of time, the hassle can be managed
    Twice Exceptional
    Jump to new posts Re: Help with results by puffin @ 09/20/17 06:00 PM

Once you get it there is really no difference in rounding big numbers over small ones. More work and more repition but not more challenge. Another common one is using larger numbers in column addition and it has the same problem.
    Regions
    Jump to new posts Re: Need feedback on Portland public schools by ChaosMitten @ 09/20/17 05:37 PM

There is not a separate lottery process for newcomers. There is a petition process, but I doubt that would work at any of the schools you mentioned since they are in very high demand and will have a waiting list after the lottery. Also, being new to
    Learning Environments
    Jump to new posts Re: How is the new school year going so far? by NotherBen @ 09/20/17 05:20 PM

DS18 started his freshman year at his choice of school. So far, we brought the wrong bedlinens (I grabbed the wrong box when loading up), no one remembered where his credit card was (in my purse), and he had two debit cards: one not activated, one ol
    College
    Jump to new posts Re: Engineering colleges by Cranberry @ 09/20/17 05:08 PM

Originally Posted By: DudeThis is not an entry-level position. The focus is on experience and "team fit" (hence the involvement of team members). I can tell you that the resumes that have passed through the HR and hiring manager filters to end up in
    Regions
    This message is for people in the South Bay (CA). There is a pair of public speaking course starting up in Santa Clara (middle-schoolers and high schoolers). I have information about it and can send it via email to anyone who's interested. Just PM me
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
    Recent Posts
    Trevor Tebbs
    by Pemberley
    12:19 AM
    After-schooling plan for motivated math kid?
    by Portia
    09/23/17 05:30 PM
    Engineering colleges
    by mithawk
    09/23/17 10:34 AM
    Testing outside the Western world
    by indigo
    09/23/17 09:08 AM
    How is the new school year going so far?
    by greenlotus
    09/22/17 11:41 PM
    Davidson Institute Twitter