Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links
DITD Logo

Learn about the Davidson Academyís online high school for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute for Talent Development is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Davidson Fellows Scholarship
  • Davidson Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    2 registered (LazyMum, 1 invisible), 0 Guests and 284 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Comox888, CeciliaPCA, Handm, AnnAr, ConnorsMom
    10327 Registered Users
    October
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30 31
    Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
    Forum   Subject
    Recommended Resources
    Jump to new posts Re: Resources for Improving Writing/Printing? by Cookie @ Yesterday at 08:09 PM

Originally Posted By: ConnectingDotsHis cursive, oddly enough (or maybe not so oddly) is not that bad. It's his printing that is a mess. I don't know as he is looking for more challenge! It's not his forte to do extra work. Yet. Cursive is easier
    Twice Exceptional
    Jump to new posts Re: Under Qualified SPED Teacher & SDI by aeh @ Yesterday at 01:02 PM

You know you don't have to tell them that you're private paying for outside SDI. But it's true that they would need a signature from you declining services, if you choose not to have the in-school SDI. So if you wanted it to stay on the IEP, you wo
    Twice Exceptional
    Jump to new posts Re: Under Qualified SPED Teacher & SDI by nbt @ Yesterday at 10:55 AM

Thank you, aeh, for your help . I just returned from the evaluation results meeting, and their position is take-it-or-leave-it on the SPED Resource teacher as the provider of SDI. I asked what would happen if I choose to private pay for SDI, and th
    Twice Exceptional
    Jump to new posts Re: Under Qualified SPED Teacher & SDI by aeh @ Yesterday at 08:30 AM

Welcome! I'm approaching this from experience on the school side of the special education process, not the parent side. I would be very cautious about rejecting a portion of an IEP based on your discomfort with the qualifications of the service pro
    Twice Exceptional
    Jump to new posts Re: Under Qualified SPED Teacher & SDI by indigo @ Yesterday at 08:28 AM

Originally Posted By: nbtI'd prefer the focus of the conversation remain on the school resource situation rather than specifics of the disability. You may wish to fine-tune your focus to emphasize meeting your child's identified needs, regardless of
    Recommended Resources
    Jump to new posts Re: Resources for Improving Writing/Printing? by mckinley @ Yesterday at 04:55 AM

I like this sort of pencil grip. I must have used something else before 1992 apparently. I remember having an ergonomic grip so maybe it was a Stetro. The only grip I really find useless is the foam tube. Here's an overview of pencil grips I found w
    Recommended Resources
    Jump to new posts Re: Resources for Improving Writing/Printing? by ConnectingDots @ 10/14/18 07:03 PM

His cursive, oddly enough (or maybe not so oddly) is not that bad. It's his printing that is a mess. I don't know as he is looking for more challenge! It's not his forte to do extra work. Yet.
    Recommended Resources
    Jump to new posts Re: Resources for Improving Writing/Printing? by ConnectingDots @ 10/14/18 07:02 PM

We're going to pick up the 2B pencil - thank you! Wondering about the grip, too. I tried reading about them and they seem confusing. Do you recommend a particular type?
    Recommended Resources
    Jump to new posts Re: Resources for Improving Writing/Printing? by ConnectingDots @ 10/14/18 07:01 PM

I think this may be what is finally resonating... hearing from someone other than mom or dad that illegible means impossible to grade properly.
    Parenting and Advocacy
    Jump to new posts Re: Grouping with older sibling? by Tigerle @ 10/14/18 01:09 PM

I would like to note that while clearly, skipping a whole grade isnít a panacea, single subject acceleration, though it may sound like such a good compromise, tends to be no more than a band aid. It may work for a while, with some teachers, but not
    Recommended Resources
    Jump to new posts Re: Resources for Improving Writing/Printing? by Cookie @ 10/14/18 09:28 AM

It also comes in Spanish version (HWT) for a gifted kid it might be more intellectually stiulating to work on handwriting in another language. Just an idea. And cursive too.
    Recommended Resources
    Jump to new posts Re: Resources for Improving Writing/Printing? by ConnectingDots @ 10/13/18 05:46 PM

It's unclear whether he wants to improve or not. He seems to have tried to, after his geometry tutor told him she was having trouble reading some of his writing and that his teacher probably was, too. Thanks for the suggestion on Handwriting Without
    Twice Exceptional
    Jump to new posts Under Qualified SPED Teacher & SDI by nbt @ 10/13/18 01:12 PM

Hello, My elementary age child recently qualified for an IEP; however, I lack confidence in the ability of the SPED teacher to deliver the SDI. The recently hired SPED resource room teacher received emergency certification, so they neither have a
    General Discussion
    Jump to new posts Re: The ultimate brag thread by aeh @ 10/12/18 03:37 PM

Nice work!
    General Discussion
    Jump to new posts Re: The ultimate brag thread by nicoledad @ 10/12/18 03:08 PM

Never been on this thread. Apparently its a big deal but my daughter as a junior made The National Honor Society
    Identification, Testing & Assessment
    If she hit 19 and had 17s and 18s, then she probably had the full-range edition. I wouldn't worry about it in your case.
    Adult
    Jump to new posts Encouraged and inspired by your kid? by MsFriz @ 10/12/18 07:35 AM

Have any of you been encouraged to believe in your own exceptional abilities and inspired to do more or be more yourself as a result of having an exceptionally gifted kid? This has been one of the many gifts of parenting for me.
    Jump to new posts Re: WPPSI at age 5.5 for possibly HG+ kiddo? by Alannc44 @ 10/12/18 07:12 AM

Originally Posted By: aeh The SB5 also has fewer ceiling issues, but it's old. Also, sometimes examiners give the SB5 Early edition (restricted to younger items and norms) to this age group, which has massive ceiling issues, and you can't necessaril
    Parenting and Advocacy
    I am so sorry that you and your DC are having to deal with this frustrating situation. It sounds like she has already described the principal challenges: she and the teacher don't understand ("like") each other, and (without judging the accuracy of
    Parenting and Advocacy
    Jump to new posts Help - DD Getting Kicked Out of Honors Algebra by shifrbv @ 10/11/18 01:59 PM

Long time since I've posted on here. Once again, I would like to ask the community for any advice. DD was placed in 7th grade Honors Algebra upon recommendation by her 6th grade math teacher. She placed at 97th percentile on the fall NWEA Math (
    As puffin has mentioned, the WJIV has fewer ceiling issues, but the reliability data for the 5-year-old age-group aren't as good as for older age brackets. So you just trade one psychometric flaw for another. The SB5 also has fewer ceiling issues,
    Jump to new posts Re: WPPSI at age 5.5 for possibly HG+ kiddo? by Emigee @ 10/10/18 01:34 PM

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I had similar thoughts, aeh. In a way it doesn't matter whether the score is accurate as long as it is high enough to qualify him for services. We have all kinds of confusing behaviors going on right now and I'd love to b
    Recommended Resources
    Jump to new posts Re: Resources for Improving Writing/Printing? by mckinley @ 10/10/18 12:26 PM

On a purely technical level, if the writing in pencil is too light, switch to a softer lead. The marks will be blacker without any extra pressure being required. The standard writing pencil is an HB (right in the middle). A 2B will give a nice dark m
    Recommended Resources
    My approach with motivational reasons for poor handwriting has been natural consequences. If you or your teachers can't read your handwriting, resulting in you not receiving full credit for work you did (or, as some of mine have done, you propagatin
    My thought on testing now or waiting mostly concerns the function of the testing at this time, not the ceiling. The school district appears to be expediting access to GT services (by two years!) contingent on testing him now. Waiting six months on
    Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
    Recent Posts
    Resources for Improving Writing/Printing?
    by Cookie
    Yesterday at 08:09 PM
    Under Qualified SPED Teacher & SDI
    by aeh
    Yesterday at 01:02 PM
    Grouping with older sibling?
    by Tigerle
    10/14/18 01:09 PM
    The ultimate brag thread
    by aeh
    10/12/18 03:37 PM
    WPPSI at age 5.5 for possibly HG+ kiddo?
    by aeh
    10/12/18 09:24 AM
    Davidson Institute Twitter