Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links
DITD Logo

Learn about the Davidson Academy’s online campus for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute for Talent Development is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Davidson Fellows Scholarship
  • Davidson Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    1 registered (1 invisible), 0 Guests and 585 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    racheltaylor, BKmama, Better Weather, booal2020, luypie
    10691 Registered Users
    January
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
    Forum   Subject
    Parenting and Advocacy
    Jump to new posts Re: Math acc. from state to state by indigo @ Today at 09:15 AM

That was my first thought, too, Portia! But one tiny statement gave me hope that if carefully approached, a degree of change may be possible: Originally Posted By: ahaf They say that they are re-evaluating their policy around this. Hopefully the OP
    Parenting and Advocacy
    Jump to new posts Re: Math acc. from state to state by Portia @ Today at 06:00 AM

You may need to consider changing schools or homeschooling. The school has been very clear as to its stance.
    Identification, Testing & Assessment
    Jump to new posts Re: Large drop in IQ between 5 and 14 by Appleton @ Yesterday at 02:24 PM

I'm not an expert in IQ or testing, but wanted to encourage you to not give up on yourself. You write more coherently than many people I see on the internet and I suspect you are more than capable of success in college. If your grades or other circum
    Adult
    Jump to new posts Re: Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...! by indigo @ Yesterday at 02:10 PM

Thanks knute974 and Portia.
    Jump to new posts Re: Large drop in IQ between 5 and 14 by indigo @ Yesterday at 02:04 PM

Welcome! You've received a great response above. It is possible that stress and/or meds may have had an impact, lowering IQ. Assessments and tests are a snapshot in time; results may vary, and your IQ, if measured today, may be higher than the r
    Jump to new posts Re: Large drop in IQ between 5 and 14 by aeh @ Yesterday at 01:34 PM

Welcome! I'm sorry you've had such a difficult path through school, and with regard to your health. Before I get into the question of your formal testing, I do want to encourage you to keep a positive outlook on your future options. Although it may
    Parenting and Advocacy
    Jump to new posts Re: Math acc. from state to state by indigo @ Yesterday at 12:59 PM

You've received great information above; many parents provide learning opportunities outside of school, when the school does not meet a child's academic / educational needs. Originally Posted By: ahafHow can we advocate effectively? A few thoughts
    Parenting and Advocacy
    Jump to new posts Re: Another acceleration? by aeh @ Yesterday at 12:32 PM

Welcome! FWIW, his PSAT 8/9 scores would appear to be in the college-ready range (although one should interpret these with some caution, since they are likely to be in the range where ceiling effects increase the error), and do support the conclusio
    Parenting and Advocacy
    Jump to new posts Re: Math acc. from state to state by puffin @ Yesterday at 12:13 PM

Maybe sign up to Beast Academy or something at home. I think probably the new school can choose not to continue an unusual arrangement from another school.
    Jump to new posts Re: Large drop in IQ between 5 and 14 by puffin @ Yesterday at 12:07 PM

AEH will have better info but although IQs can be unstable when young it is more likely in my opinion your health issues, ASD and maybe another undiagnosed learning disability have caused problems. If you can get an A in a high school class if you t
    Adult
    Jump to new posts Re: Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...! by Portia @ 01/25/20 05:01 PM

Yes - all through work. Some international. Not sure what your question is. With all the time and the challenges, I would recommend a lawyer.
    Originally Posted By: aehAnd in the bigger picture, if he's happy and learning other kinds of new things this year, there will still be plenty of opportunities for him to pick up the pace academically in the future. Agreeing with this. A kid at th
    So it's not exactly that I'm dismissive of the MAP scores, but that I have a different sense of their limitations. Here's some anchoring data to work with: the following document details all of the skills that may possibly show up on a MAP K-2 assess
    Aeh, I've previously read your position about the limited value for these types of instruments. I accept that they're just a data point, not the whole set. I'm careful not to assign value to them beyond a moment in time piece of information. Moreover
    I'm looking at them as an measure of what he's being taught in the classroom. My understanding of the instrument itself is that the scores are tied to material covered relative to educational standards. So, a math score of 190 should reflect a gene
    Jump to new posts Large drop in IQ between 5 and 14 by viktor877 @ 01/24/20 05:16 PM

Hi, this is my first post here, I am making it as I am still searching for answers regarding my drop in IQ. I am currently 16 years old, and in a very tricky situation with school, which I'm trying to solve, and I think that knowing whether my drop
    High School
    Jump to new posts Re: US presidential scholar by cricket3 @ 01/24/20 02:20 PM

Thanks, knute, for the sound advice. And yes, listening to him is what’s important, totally agree. He’s just not very communicative! But I think the answer is pretty clear. Appreciate the input from everyone.
    High School
    Jump to new posts Re: US presidential scholar by knute974 @ 01/24/20 02:08 PM

Our experience was similar to polarbear's. Kid #1 was a NMF, applied to 9 schools, six in the highly selective category, was tapped by her high school to apply for additional scholarships, etc. That coupled with IB made her senior year incredibly st
    Adult
    Jump to new posts Re: Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...! by knute974 @ 01/24/20 01:48 PM

I don't have any knowledge about this. I have a friend who has a lot of patents. You might find some useful information on his blog http://www.askingwhynot.com/ The post for Monday, January 13, 2014 General thoughts on the question "I have an inven
    The big picture perspective on instruments like MAP, as I've mentioned here before, is that they are tools for identifying and progress monitoring at-risk students. (That is, sorting students into intervention/non-intervention categories.) For everyo
    Are the MAP scores even a decent measure of what you are looking for? I completely disregard tests like the PSSAs and MAP as really telling us anything about the child. I think they are mostly used to monitor and judge the schools, right? In fact
    Parenting and Advocacy
    Jump to new posts Math acc. from state to state by ahaf @ 01/24/20 10:04 AM

We moved states this December from one high achieving school district to another. In our old district my son who is currently in 3rd grade was formally identified as gifted in 1st grade after some testing and classroom projects. (WISC-V score 148). H
    Originally Posted By: philly103How do others manage this sense of wanting to push but also wanting to let the process evolve? Like many of the parents here, over the years you may find that nothing is sufficient... - as most gifted programs teach on
    Adult
    Jump to new posts Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...! by indigo @ 01/24/20 06:15 AM

Has anyone been through the patent process...? Patent applied for...? Patent Pending...? Patent received...? Has anyone preserved intellectual property (IP) rights with a trademark...? A formal copyright...? Any thoughts, ideas, recommendations.
    High School
    Jump to new posts Re: US presidential scholar by cricket3 @ 01/24/20 04:32 AM

Yes, of course. Thanks for the reinforcement; perspective definitely gets assaulted from all sides during this process! I guess I was mainly looking for reassurances- it feels sort of bad for some reason to just blow off an invitation to apply, ev
    Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
    Recent Posts
    Math acc. from state to state
    by indigo
    Today at 09:15 AM
    Large drop in IQ between 5 and 14
    by Appleton
    Yesterday at 02:24 PM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo
    Yesterday at 02:10 PM
    Another acceleration?
    by aeh
    Yesterday at 12:32 PM
    Just writing to think. MAP scores, impatience, etc
    by Kai
    01/25/20 08:24 AM
    Davidson Institute Twitter