Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links
DITD Logo

Learn about the Davidson Academy’s online campus for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute for Talent Development is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Davidson Fellows Scholarship
  • Davidson Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    2 registered (MumOfThree, ChasingTwo), 0 Guests and 234 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    liny, Joo, Breef, Camss70, Ms Jules
    10821 Registered Users
    September
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2 3 4 5
    6 7 8 9 10 11 12
    13 14 15 16 17 18 19
    20 21 22 23 24 25 26
    27 28 29 30
    Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
    Forum   Subject
    General Discussion
    Yes, thanks for bringing BEAM to our attention. I notice it is a collaborative project with AoPS and quite a number of big players in STEM industry, education and nonprofits.
    General Discussion
    Jump to new posts Re: Rallying to Protect Admissions Standards in VA by Eagle Mum @ Today at 04:20 AM

Thanks for the BEAM link. I agree with you. In this digital era, it should be possible to cater for every student in every school, to learn at the appropriate pace for them. DS didn’t want to travel hours per day to attend one of the top selective sc
    General Discussion
    AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) is a program also intended to help students maximize their education.
    General Discussion
    Jump to new posts Re: Rallying to Protect Admissions Standards in VA by pinewood1 @ 09/25/20 01:16 PM

Trying to remedy inequality in STEM at that point is often too late; that's why BEAM exists. It provides math enrichment, support, and advising for low-income and underrepresented minority students so that they have the background to access better sc
    General Discussion
    DD's school is similar. Decades ago, mostly white, now about 80% Chinese, a few other asian groups and then white about 12%. Hunter, in NYC is about the same, Styvescant, where Harvard takes about 25 students out of 700, is about the same. All exa
    General Discussion
    Thank you for sharing another compelling article, Bostonian. If I understand correctly, there are groups both in favor of lottery-based admissions, and opposed to the lottery. Some want admissions to be based on merit, others on demographic quotas.
    General Discussion
    Jump to new posts Rallying to Protect Admissions Standards in VA by Bostonian @ 09/23/20 07:47 PM

Rallying to Protect Admissions Standards at America’s Best Public High School by Asra Q. Nomani and Glenn Miller Quillette September 23, 2020 This week, a group of about 200 students, parents, alumni, and concerned local residents flooded the sidew
    General Discussion
    Originally Posted By: Kai"Critical" social justice "theory" has no room for individual difference when it comes to intelligence, nor does it place any stock in science. The only legitimate differences among people are the "approved" identities that
    Recommended Resources
    Jump to new posts Re: books for adults by indigo @ 09/22/20 08:43 AM

An important slice of history: Color, Communism, and Common Sense (1958), is a crucial artifact. Written by a Black man, ex-Communist Manning Johnson, this book provides historical context, primary source documents, and insight as to the seeds sown
    General Discussion
    Originally Posted By: indigoYour Thoughts? Observations? Experiences? Among all the full range of diversity listed ("including race, culture, social class, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ability, language, religion and their intersect
    General Discussion
    Maybe covid will push the development of customized education so that kids can work along their own educational speed and capacity. There are so many more options out there, coursera, Khan plus the expensive CTY and Stanford options. My kid has use
    GT Research
    Jump to new posts Re: The (Gifted) Kids Are All Right by MumOfThree @ 09/21/20 08:04 PM

Originally Posted By: aehBut they -were- comfortable in their own skin, which is a trait that has increasing social currency as one develops, and I think part of that comfort came from having their intellectual (and other) gifts accepted and allowed
    GT Research
    Jump to new posts Re: The (Gifted) Kids Are All Right by aeh @ 09/21/20 07:02 PM

From my observations of the types of individuals who comprise data points in the above-referenced research, I think one of the key contributions of radical acceleration in their generally positive life outcomes outside of academics and careers is tha
    GT Research
    Jump to new posts Re: The (Gifted) Kids Are All Right by MumOfThree @ 09/21/20 04:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Eagle MumI’d always thought that being a member of a band and/or orchestra was also socially advantageous. My experience watching my children (I am utterly unmusical myself) is that it is a wonderful social experience to pla
    Identification, Testing & Assessment
    Jump to new posts Re: How to calculate GAI ? by indigo @ 09/21/20 12:39 PM

For those still seeking information on the General Ability Index (GAI) and its components, these online documents may be of interest. Many families find the information on indexes and subtests at wrightslaw helpful: http://www.wrightslaw.com/advo
    GT Research
    Jump to new posts Re: The (Gifted) Kids Are All Right by pinewood1 @ 09/21/20 09:25 AM

At least in the US, music is pretty much neutral for your popularity. (I was another one of those kids who was hopeless at ball sports. There's basically nothing that can make up for that here.)
    General Discussion
    Jump to new posts Re: Thoughts on work of Drs E Frattura & C Capper? by Eagle Mum @ 09/21/20 07:09 AM

I’m not familiar with the two authors, but note that you have included an excerpt about the declining PISA performance of Australian students, which some experts believe may be due, at least in part, to the under recognition and poor support for gift
    GT Research
    Jump to new posts Re: The (Gifted) Kids Are All Right by Eagle Mum @ 09/21/20 03:52 AM

Sports and dance are definitely the most popular activities over here, but I’d always thought that being a member of a band and/or orchestra was also socially advantageous. It is also my understanding that orchestral performances are physically deman
    General Discussion
    Jump to new posts Thoughts on work of Drs E Frattura & C Capper? by indigo @ 09/21/20 02:29 AM

How familiar are you with the work of Dr Elise Frattura & Dr Collen Capper? Quick summary: Books/Publications/Services - 1-Leading for Social Justice: Transforming Schools for All Learners (2007) 2-Meeting the Needs of Students of All Abilities: L
    GT Research
    Jump to new posts Re: The (Gifted) Kids Are All Right by MumOfThree @ 09/20/20 11:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Eagle MumThe character portrayals in ‘The Big Bang Theory’ seem like a ‘tall poppy syndrome’ based attempt by the creators to reassure the rest of the population that those with intellectual gifts have matching deficits in other
    Recent Posts
    Rallying to Protect Admissions Standards in VA
    by aeh
    Today at 07:04 AM
    Thoughts on work of Drs E Frattura & C Capper?
    by indigo
    09/22/20 08:52 AM
    books for adults
    by indigo
    09/22/20 08:43 AM
    The (Gifted) Kids Are All Right
    by MumOfThree
    09/21/20 08:04 PM
    How to calculate GAI ?
    by indigo
    09/21/20 12:39 PM
    Davidson Institute Twitter